Black Rock Brewery Bock Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dand

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was browsing my LHBS the other day and they had some of the canned kits on sale, so i grabbed one to try out. They mostly had lager kits, and i mostly do ales, so i read through them and the instructions on the Bock kit from Black Rock Brewery said to ferment between 18°C and 23°C, and i've never tried a bock, so i thought i'd give it a try.
When i get home and start looking into what a Bock actually is and it seems like bocks are a type of lager, which means that fermenting it at 18-23 degrees would probably be a mistake.
The yeast pack that comes with it is just a generic white envelope with "Beer Yeast" written on it, so i can't tell what strain it might be, and a google search doesn't come up with much, so before i waste my time doing it wrong i thought i'd see if anyone here has any experience with these kits?
If you have any info on the actual yeast they come with or if you've tried one of these cans before, what temps did you ferment at?

Bocks are indeed lagers. This kit advertises itself as a "German style dark beer", and not a German Bock, or German Lager. The manufacturer is using an ale yeast in place of a lager yeast, probably to give their product broader appeal as fermenting a lager at home is typically more difficult than fermenting an ale.

I would folllow the temperature guidelines on the yeast packet. Just because you are not using a lager yeast, doesn't mean you want make a great beer.

Good luck. Full disclosure, I have not used this kit, or even heard of this manufacture, before your post.

Bocks are indeed lagers. This kit advertises itself as a "German style dark beer", and not a German Bock, or German Lager. The manufacturer is using an ale yeast in place of a lager yeast, probably to give their product broader appeal as fermenting a lager at home is typically more difficult than fermenting an ale.

I would folllow the temperature guidelines on the yeast packet. Just because you are not using a lager yeast, doesn't mean you want make a great beer.

Good luck. Full disclosure, I have not used this kit, or even heard of this manufacture, before your post.

I'm sure whatever the yeast is it will turn out to be beer.

Back