Black Roasted Barley vs Light Roasted Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
Ok, so my next brew is going to be a clone attempt of Left Hand's milk stout. On their website they list roasted barley in the grain bill, but I'm wondering if it should be a lighter roasted barley (around 300L) or black roasted barley (around 500L)? I've seen both on different HBS websites and am not really sure what to use. I did send an email to Left Hand asking them, but haven't heard anything back. Any advice on which would work better for milk stout?

And I may as well use this opportunity to solicit advice on my recipe again...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-partial-mash-495234/

According to some descriptions I've seen on the topic is that Black Barley is deeply roasted MALTED barley and "Roasted Barley" is UNMALTED. Roasting malted barley evidently gives a sharper, but not drier, tart roast character where unmalted roasted barley is more rounded and gives you a smoother, drier dark character with more coffee notes

Is what you're describing Black Malt or Black Roasted Barley, though? I guess my confusion comes from searching Northern Brewer's site and getting both Crisp Roasted Barley and Light Roasted Barley, both of which are described as unmalted barley. Austin Homebrew doesn't offer light roasted barley at all, but does have black roasted barley, but it's unclear if what they call black roasted barley is malted or not. Is Crisp the same as Black? Is Black Roasted Barley the same as Black Malt?

Based on Northern Brewer's description of light roasted barley ("Use this grain when you want a sweet, coffee-like, grainy flavor "), that seems to be what I'm shooting for with this milk stout clone, just trying to sort out all of these different choices.

You want roasted barley (300L) for the LH Milk Stout Clone.

As an FYI...

Both roasted barley (300L) and black roasted barley (500L - aka black barley) are unmalted.

Black malt (500-600L - e.g. Black Patent) is malted.

You want roasted barley (300L) for the LH Milk Stout Clone.

As an FYI...

Both roasted barley (300L) and black roasted barley (500L - aka black barley) are unmalted.

Black malt (500-600L - e.g. Black Patent) is malted.

That's what I was thinking, just wanted to be sure. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back