Black Powder Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made paper cartridges for my revolvers using cigarette papers, and it worked rather well, though I did often find small shards of paper left behind. I did let me be, eventually, to see if they'd cause problems but after 3 cylinders all was well. I do believe they'd be a problem eventually.

I'm not sure if I'd want to need to make cartridges to shoot it though.

I also like that all of my arms use Remington #10's.

I might have to get one just for the history.

Pyrodex only gives ~1770 fps with the same bullet and 100 grns of P (3F).

Could it have been 150 grns such as with the "magnum" inlines that can use three 50 grn pellets? I just don't see how it could come close to 2700 fps or more.

Biggest headache I have with black powder is trying to find it. It is a bit over 100 miles round trip, to my nearest supplier. I generally just buy 6-8 lbs at a time and luckily it last me a long time.

100 miles! Yikes!

Why don't you bite the bullet and order online? You can buy from Grafs or Powderinc.

I couldn't find Swiss or Olde Eynsford when I lives in San Antonio so I had no choice. I could find Triple 7, but at times they were out of 3F. I bought from BassPro and found that if I ordered 3 lbs, which cost much less, I'd about break even with shipping and the HAZMAT fee. Black powder is so much cheaper though.

Percussion caps were impossible to find as well and so I often bought them online from BassPro or Cabelas in a group of 10.

This expenses, as well as my brewing ingredients is a good reason to make what you can such as projectiles, patches, wads, lube, etc.

I'd like to try growing hops but with the AA's being unknown and variable I'm not sure it's worth the effort except for dry hopping maybe.

Now I just need to learn gunsmithing!

100 miles! Yikes!

Why don't you bite the bullet and order online? You can buy from Grafs or Powderinc.

I couldn't find Swiss or Olde Eynsford when I lives in San Antonio so I had no choice. I could find Triple 7, but at times they were out of 3F. I bought from BassPro and found that if I ordered 3 lbs, which cost much less, I'd about break even with shipping and the HAZMAT fee. Black powder is so much cheaper though.

Percussion caps were impossible to find as well and so I often bought them online from BassPro or Cabelas in a group of 10.

This expenses, as well as my brewing ingredients is a good reason to make what you can such as projectiles, patches, wads, lube, etc.

I'd like to try growing hops but with the AA's being unknown and variable I'm not sure it's worth the effort except for dry hopping maybe.

Now I just need to learn gunsmithing!

There is a HBS on the way, and one of my dads cardiologists is near there, so its not like getting black powder is the only reason I head that direction, I can generally make a quick side trip to get it. It just sucks when I am out, and "have" to go get black powder.

Back