Black Patent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will Black malt or debittered black malt bring off the same sweet taste as black Patent? I haven't been able to get the same taste out of the black malts. Plus when I'm brewing I end up using black malt because black patent ends up being a special order at the lhbs and cost to much with shipping to just order a pound from the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Will Black malt or debittered black malt bring off the same sweet taste as black Patent? I haven't been able to get the same taste out of the black malts. Plus when I'm brewing I end up using black malt because black patent ends up being a special order at the lhbs and cost to much with shipping to just order a pound from the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's confusing, at least to me, because different brands call things by different names.

For example, Briess black malt is different than blackprinz malt (which is debittered). Crisp black malt is similiar to Briess' version- both would be the same as black patent.

However, black barley is not malted and is similar to roasted barley in that respect. It's more of a "coffee" flavor roast than black malt.

Also, black malt will still leave a white (or tan) head on the beer, but black barley will impact the color of the head and make it dark.

Will Black malt or debittered black malt bring off the same sweet taste as black Patent?

Sweet? Black patent malt tastes like charcoal. Are you sure you are looking for the right ingredient?

You may want to consider German Chocolate Wheat malt or Carafa II/III as subs here.

Yeah sweet doesn't sound right. I use black patent frequently in the range of 0.5-.75 lb per 5 gallon and never seem to get the charcoal taste folks warn about. I like it in porters and American stouts, to me it's roasty but not the same as the coffee roast with roasted barley, it almost seems smoother to me. Maybe it's the balance of your whole recipe which doesn't come out the same if you sub black barley (unmalted) for black malt (I also wonder as Yooper suggested if this is what you were doing, as black malt is black patent malt).

Back