black patent or Carafa III in porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I haven't brewed a porter yet but have a bunch of carafa III on-hand, most porter recipes call for black patent, can I sub in carafa III. I had a tiny bit of black patent on-hand and tasted both side-by-side and I think there is a better roasted flavor with carafa III, black patent tasted almost like charcoal.

Thoughts on subbing carafa III for black patent in a porter?

I would think black patent is a little strong for a porter. I honestly have no experience with carafa III, but if, as you say it has a roasty flavor I would definitely give it a try.

I would think black patent is a little strong for a porter. I honestly have no experience with carafa III, but if, as you say it has a roasty flavor I would definitely give it a try.

the 'robust porter' recipe in brewing classic styles has 4% black patent in it, i would keep the percentage the same, just sub carafa III.

I think that would be a safe bet. If you brew it, please post the recipe and let us know how it turned out.

So I have not brewed any porters either, prefering stouts. I looked into some porter recipes and you are correct a lot of them call for black patent. As you stated in your original post black patent has a very charcoal like flavor that I would have thought was a bit much for a porter. That being said, I do not think you can go wrong with carfa III if you prefer roasty to charcoaly...

Carafa III is a perfectly acceptable substitute for black patent. Pretty much the same malt just a different name.

Back