Black Patent- How much is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

si_ex_pat

Reaction score
I have read a couple of times that Black Patent should be limited to 1/2# or less for a 5 gallon receipe. I am trying to brew a stout??? from leftover grains and have 12 oz of Black Patent left. Is this too much for a 5.5 gallon batch. I know these arent typical stout ingredients but again I am trying to get rid of leftovers. The overall receipe is:

9 lb Pilsner 2 row- 62%
3 lb Light wheat- 21%
13 oz Roasted Barley- 6%
12 oz Black patent- 5%
8 oz Flaked Barley- 3%
8 oz Flaked Oats- 3%
1 oz Perle (60 min) 20.1 IBU
1 oz Tettnang (60 min) 11.5 IBU

OG 1.065
FG 1.016
ABV 6.4%
IBU 31.6
Color 39.3

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

In addition to roasted barley, it's too much. One pound with no other dark roasted grains is good for a porter.

lots of Black and Roasted, sounds like it may be slightly astringent or harsh to me. I would shoot for the higher end of the mash temp maybe, to counter the strength of those grains or not! JMHO

i did stout that was nice and smooth (and i don't even really like stouts).

11.9# 2row
1.43# black patent
1.1# c80
.66# carapils
.66# light munich
.66# wheat malt
.11# roasted barley

Man, if someone could post a recipe for a stout that has a milk chocolate (versus a roasted chocolate) flavor (again, with little of that roasted, super bitter, astringent quality) I'd be grateful!

The motivation for this is from trying a 'Knuckle Dragger' from Alchemist. It was a milk chocolate candy bar in a glass - in the best sense.

Man, if someone could post a recipe for a stout that has a milk chocolate (versus a roasted chocolate) flavor (again, with little of that roasted, super bitter, astringent quality) I'd be grateful!

The motivation for this is from trying a 'Knuckle Dragger' from Alchemist. It was a milk chocolate candy bar in a glass - in the best sense.

Ever had young's double chocolate stout? Out of the bottle it's a little roastier than out of the widget can. You could try that and look for one of the many clones if you like it.

i brewed a stout about a month ago that had 10 oz chocolate, 10 oz black pattent, 14 oz Black roast barely, and 8 oz 120L. only had one of them so far, but it didn't seem harsh.
but i really like robust darker beers.

Back