Black Malt as substitute for Carafa III and Chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Making a Black IPA this weekend using someone else's recipe. Calls for 6 oz Carafa III (525 SRM) and 6 oz Chocolate Malt (450 SRM). I have 8 oz Munton's Black (470-560) at home. Think this would be a decent substitute?

it will give you the color you want, but maybe not the flavor

black malt gives a sharp, roasted, bitter flavor that's different from a hoppy kind of bitter

carafa is debittered to give color & aroma without the sharp flavor

black IPAs are darkened IPAs, not a hoppy porter/stout

Great, thanks. That's the kind of input I was looking for. Just did a porter, so don't really want/need another roasty beer, so I'll just buy some carafa. Thanks.

If I want the color and don't want the bitterness to come through or too much roast, should I go with a larger quantity of Carafa II instead of less Carafa III? And should I leave the Chocolate out altogether?

Looks like 8oz of Carafa III gets me to about 25 SRM and 12oz of Carafa III gets me to just under 32 SRM. If I go with 16oz of Carafa II instead, it puts me at just over 32 SRM. How will my flavor be impacted and what do you think works best for the Black IPA that I'm shooting for?

I would stick with the recipe as it is, so 8 oz of carafa III and keep the chocolate malt

unless you've tried it that way before, or tasted the result of someone else's batch & didn't like it; then adjust as you see fit

sorry, I can't be of more help, being very shiny at all this and have not even used any of the malts we've been discussing (yet). I replied to the OP to point out that the sub might not turn out the way you want.

past that, we're wading in over my head

Back