Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnichols00

Reaction score
I have a black IPA fermenting right now, I will be dry hopping it in the next few days and was thinking of adding a little coffee bean as well.

First off is this a good idea? Had anyone tried this?

Secondly do I sanatize in a vodka first or should the beans be clean?

I actually just had a dark java IPA. They used Simcoe hops and as a consumer, I was extremely disappointed with how much the coffee took over the profile, both aroma and flavor.

My two cents would be to carefully and cautiously add the coffee. If you're just looking for a high IBU or ratio, then the coffee might not be such an issue. But if you're looking for a real floral IPA, go easy with it.

Regarding sanitizing, you're going to want to cold brew coffee rather than add the beans. That is, unless you really want a subtle additional roasted flavor. Coffee bean oils do not break down in cold temp (hence the cold brew coffee), so you'll only really get more roasty notes from the beans themselves. Which will be completely hidden due to the dark nature of your wort.

If you decide you do want beans, yes, sanitize them in vodka (ooh or maybe bourbon) prior to adding.

I just tried my first Black IPA this weekend from a local brewery. I embarrassed myself though by having her double check that she gave me the right one. The hops were indistinguishable and completely drowned out by the coffee. It was a really great drink but not what I was expecting.

I just tried my first Black IPA this weekend from a local brewery. I embarrassed myself though by having her double check that she gave me the right one. The hops were indistinguishable and completely drowned out by the coffee. It was a really great drink but not what I was expecting.

Word, sounds like this is pretty common. I imagine the coffee is just a bit too robust to allow other distinct flavors through.

I believe this is a common issue with the style, which makes it challenging to brew. It's just really difficult to get that dark, rich body and still have the hops come through as bright as you'd like. It's the Pinot Noir of beers: most of them aren't quite right, but the good ones are spectacular.

Awesome feedback, I think that if I add it I would just be looking for a slight coffee aroma and maybe a little flavor. Nothing too strong on the coffee.

I used simcoe hops as well when I brewed it. But will be adding cascade to it for dry hopping.

Since I am adding the coffee post fermentation it should add more of an aroma than a strong flavor correct?

BTW this is already a black IPA not a traditional IPA so some of the hops will already be drowned out by the maltyness correct?

Sorry Im still new to brewing and this is my first time adding anything but hops after the fermentation.

If you are still looking to add coffee beans. I would suggest adding whole beans to the secondary. It works much better than adding ground coffee at flameout or even doing a cold steep. As long as the beans are fresh from a sealed bag, you don't really need to worry about sanitizing.

I've done 3-4oz for 5 days or so and it really gives a great aroma, like your nose is over a fresh brewed cup. It also does impart a good bit of flavor.

Id have to agree with m00ps. Throw some beans in the secondary.

Im new too, on my 14th batch, 11 AG.
Ive done two different coffee beans to the secondary, one a blonde, see this guys recipe thread here, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/vanilla-coffee-bean-blonde-426044/, the other I took a NW IPA and used a hazelnut flavored bean.

Both beers turned out to have a real nice balance of coffee flavor/smell to hop ratio. Simcoe hops seem to balance especially well.

I guess I always was under the impression that a black IPA was a lot about color not merely over-hopping a stout or a porter. Either way, give it a try, if you love beer and coffee, the flavors will work.

I've put coffee in porters with decent results. I made a black IPA recently that was delicious.

IMO - I think the coffee will mask the hop profile and suggest that you skip it on this one. The hops are already competing with the darker grains and don't need the additional competition.

What variety of dark grains did you use, some already add a fair amount of roast character and coffee may just put it over the top

I started with the brewers best Black IPA kit and added a little honey to the recipe.

Back