Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Black IPA...should it taste like an IPA and be black or should I/we be getting some flavor out of the dark grains?

Reason I ask is the last Black IPA I made came out w/more flavor from the dark malts than I expected as I only mashed them in the last 10 minutes.

Also the color came out brown instead of black.

Here is the 1.75 g recipe

4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US 83.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 10.4 %
4.8 oz Chocolate Malt 6.3 %
0.40 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - 57.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) -
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min
1 pack Safal US-05
0.50 oz Centennial [11.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop

The ones I have made and drank all have the taste of the darker grains IMO. They seem to be a little sweeter with a little less hop character than a standard IPA. I do not know how they are supposed to taste, these are just my opinions.

I don't think it is possible to make an IPA truly BLACK with no roasted taste at all.

I am just about to bottle my first black IPA and it is almost black, tastes like a brown ale up front and then hits you with 87 ibu IPA flavor!

I made a 10.5 gallon batch and I only used 4 oz of chocolate malt in that much beer! I imagine that your beer tastes like a bitter porter with that much chocolate in 1.75 gal!

You really must use black malt (Carafa III) and/or Midnight Wheat malt if you want black color without too much roasted/toasted/chocolate taste. I used 8 oz of Carafa III and 8 oz of Midnight Wheat, 1 lb of C-80, 4 oz Chocolate Malt in my 10.5 gal batch to get about 31 SRM color.

The one I just made had Carafa III as the darkening malt otherwise it was basically an IPA recipe. Slight hint of roast flavor and otherwise a nice IPA. Really good and it will go down easily.

I came across a malt called Blackprinz I am trying in my first Black IPA next weekend.

This is the way they describe it at Briess:

The crown jewel of black malts
Intensely roasted from hulless barley, Blackprinz® Malt is
an amazingly smooth and mellow flavored black malt
without bitter, astringent, dry flavors or aftertaste.
Despite its delicate and clean flavor Blackprinz® Malt
won’t disappoint the eye, delivering exceptionally deep
color to dark beers or a slight to intense boost of color to
other beer styles. The hints of toasted malty flavor that
come through at slightly higher usage rates make Blackprinz
® Malt a unique member and truly the crown jewel
of the black malt category.
Suggested beginning usage rates
1-2% Minor color adjustment with little to no flavor
impact in lighter colored lagers and ales.
2-5% Adds color with subtle, smooth flavor in Black
IPAs, Dark Mild Ales, Brown Ales, Dark Wheat
Beers and Schwarzbier.
5-10% Use in larger quantities for color plus hints of
toasted malty flavor.

I've made a couple batches of similar Black IPAs. The first was just 2-row, with 12 oz of Caramel 60L and 12 oz of Carafa III. For the second batch, I split the Carafa III into 6 oz of Carafa III and 6 oz of Roasted Barley.

I, and most people, preferred the second batch - honestly one of the best black IPAs I've ever had. I'm sure it largely depends on the hop bill, but I personally prefer my Black IPAs to have a bit of roast and sharpness from the malt.

I came across a malt called Blackprinz I am trying in my first Black IPA next weekend.

This is the way they describe it at Briess:

The crown jewel of black malts
Intensely roasted from hulless barley, Blackprinz® Malt is
an amazingly smooth and mellow flavored black malt
without bitter, astringent, dry flavors or aftertaste.
Despite its delicate and clean flavor Blackprinz® Malt
won’t disappoint the eye, delivering exceptionally deep
color to dark beers or a slight to intense boost of color to
other beer styles. The hints of toasted malty flavor that
come through at slightly higher usage rates make Blackprinz
® Malt a unique member and truly the crown jewel
of the black malt category.
Suggested beginning usage rates
1-2% Minor color adjustment with little to no flavor
impact in lighter colored lagers and ales.
2-5% Adds color with subtle, smooth flavor in Black
IPAs, Dark Mild Ales, Brown Ales, Dark Wheat
Beers and Schwarzbier.
5-10% Use in larger quantities for color plus hints of
toasted malty flavor.

Blackprintz is essential equal to Carafa III

In regards to your actual recipe up there, I think Carafa III or Roasted Barley is better for most Black IPAs than Chocolate Malt. Part of the reason being that you have to use so much Chocolate to provide appropriate color that it tends to provide too much flavor (and as you say, it ended up more brown than black).

I'd definitely substitute Carafa III for the Choclate and either reduce the amount, or increase your IBUs.

As far as a style, Black IPAs are pretty diverse. You'll find examples that taste more likely hoppy stouts, and examples that taste more just like a standard IPA with food coloring. Personally, I think it's silly to add malt for the sole purpose of color - I expect some taste contributions. It's kind of a trendy style right now, but these days I am preferring Black IPAs to standard IPAs.

I just made the Urban UFO in zymurgy and it uses carafa III. Kegging tonight and the samples I have tried are outstanding. Agree that the carafa III is the way to go if you don't want a brown IPA flavor.

In regards to your actual recipe up there, I think Carafa III or Roasted Barley is better for most Black IPAs than Chocolate Malt. Part of the reason being that you have to use so much Chocolate to provide appropriate color that it tends to provide too much flavor (and as you say, it ended up more brown than black).

I'd definitely substitute Carafa III for the Choclate and either reduce the amount, or increase your IBUs.

As far as a style, Black IPAs are pretty diverse. You'll find examples that taste more likely hoppy stouts, and examples that taste more just like a standard IPA with food coloring. Personally, I think it's silly to add malt for the sole purpose of color - I expect some taste contributions. It's kind of a trendy style right now, but these days I am preferring Black IPAs to standard IPAs.

I just bottled NB's Black IPA recipe and they call for equal amounts of both Carafa III and Chocolate Malt. I did a 5 gal BIAB and used .375 lbs of both Carafa III and Chocolate Malt and I thought it turned out great. Got just a hint of chocolate flavoring but it wasn't too overpowering. And the color came out pretty dark as well which is good.

As you said, I wasn't looking for a beer that tasted like an IPA with dark food coloring added. I wanted some taste contributions and I think NB's recipe nailed it for me!

I used midnight wheat for the color in mine, similar to Carafa III for color. I believe some flavor from dark grains is appropriate for a black IPA.

Mahalo nui loa guys. Just the info I needed. My LHBS has stopped carring ally the Carafa malts. Why, I have no idea, perhaps shipping smaller amts from Germany costs to much. He still carries Munich and Pilsner imports but those are used in greater amounts.

Anyway he does now carry Blackprinz and I'll pick up some of that next round.

Okole Maluna! :mug:

Planning to brew a Black this weekend. store recommended i cold steep my dark grains: carafaIII & Black Patend. Put in 1/2 gallon of water, let it sit in refridg overnight, then add it after steeping my 60L and as i'm bringing to boil.

Thoughts on cold steeping as above, or should i just add the carafa/black to the 60L for regular steeping?

Planning to brew a Black this weekend. store recommended i cold steep my dark grains: carafaIII & Black Patend. Put in 1/2 gallon of water, let it sit in refridg overnight, then add it after steeping my 60L and as i'm bringing to boil.

Thoughts on cold steeping as above, or should i just add the carafa/black to the 60L for regular steeping?

I suppose it's probably too late at this point, but I'd use all carafa III special (and mash/steep as normal).

The best one I've drank had a chocolate finish. I wonder how it would turn out if you racked on to cocoa nibs for a week or two? I'll prob do that with my next batch.

I used carafaIII, midnight wheat in addition to Munich and some crystal. Turned out beautifully with maris otter and wy 1450.

It depends on what you are going for in your beer. For me, roasted flavors that typically accompany dark malts do not compliment the citrus/pine/tropical flavors I seek from hoppy beers.

In the Black IPA (i.e., Cascadian Dark Ale, India Black Ale, American-Style Black Ale) that I just made, I used Midnight Wheat for the color, as it seems to have the lowest roast/astringent qualities of all of the options available, and I used a boat load of late addition and dry hops. Here's my recipe.

It depends on what you are going for in your beer. For me, roasted flavors that typically accompany dark malts do not compliment the citrus/pine/tropical flavors I seek from hoppy beers.

In the Black IPA (i.e., Cascadian Dark Ale, India Black Ale, American-Style Black Ale) that I just made, I used Midnight Wheat for the color, as it seems to have the lowest roast/astringent qualities of all of the options available, and I used a boat load of late addition and dry hops. Here's my recipe.

Along with that, it's usually pretty good practice with Black IPAs to use smaller flavor hop additions, and to emphasize the bittering and aroma hops. It will help prevent the hops and roasted malts from competing with each other.

I used carafaIII, midnight wheat in addition to Munich and some crystal. Turned out beautifully with maris otter and wy 1450.

I pretty much made the same beer by accident. I ordered Caramunich 60 instead of Crystal. I used 8 oz Blackprinz, 8 oz midnight wheat and 12 oz Caramunich with 11 or 12 pounds of two row. You can definitely taste the sweetness from the Caramunich. If I make it again, I think I will back off on the Blackprinz or midnight wheat, there is a little too much roast flavor for my liking.

So i did the batch tonight.... Opted to cold steep 5 oz carafaIII and 4 oz black patent. Let them sit in 1/2 gallon of water for 24 hrs and dumped them in w 15 min left in the boil. Planning for 2 wks in primary, 2 wks secondary, 2 wks bottle, just in time for superbowl sunday! Will post when its done.

So after 2 weeks in the bottle, it had not carbed up too much. Now after 4 wks in the bottle its flavorful, and lightly carbonated.

Great carmely / hoppy aroma, full round flavor and a sweet black color. After a bomber of this, you feel it! Nice cold weather beer. Noticeable sweet IPA type feel to it. Will remake this one next fall for the winter.

So after 2 weeks in the bottle, it had not carbed up too much. Now after 4 wks in the bottle its flavorful, and lightly carbonated.

Great carmely / hoppy aroma, full round flavor and a sweet black color. After a bomber of this, you feel it! Nice cold weather beer. Noticeable sweet IPA type feel to it. Will remake this one next fall for the winter.

do you think the cold steeping tamed down the bitterness from the dark grains?

This is the first time I've used dark grains, and they are not bitter at all. Honestly the joy and smell the marinating grains gave off was worth the price of admission. I would do same process next time.

Back