Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostsr20

Reaction score
Just brewed this up today. What do you think? Anything I should look at changing for next time? I'm anxious to get this one finished.

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/22/2010
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Brewer: Chris & Eric
Boil Size: 12.00 gal Asst Brewer: Eric
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 63.72 %
2 lbs Black Prinze (500.0 SRM) Grain 7.08 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.08 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.08 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.54 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.54 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.65 %
0.50 oz Citra [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
2.20 oz Warrior [17.20 %] (60 min) Hops 80.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Citra [11.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.00 %] (20 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.55 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (20 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
5.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (10 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [11.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1 lbs 8.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.31 %
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.82 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.85 %
Bitterness: 117.5 IBU Calories: 351 cal/pint
Est Color: 43.8 SRM Color: Color

why would a starter be required? i'm new at this.

i am going to order hops for a black IPA and a centennial IPA on Monday. i will use the recipe Stone provided for their 11th anniversary black IPA.

An OG of 1.077 is pretty big. Usually anything over 1.040 can benefit greatly from making a starter and having enough yeast to do the job without stressing the yeast.

Thats a sh1tload of hops... lol

You are making 10 gallons with only one vial of yeast. That isn't enough yeast to get a healthy fermentation.

You could either do a starter or pitch 3+ vials. That will be a lot of sugar for the yeasties to tackle.

I'm also curious about the black prinze malt. I haven't heard much about it. I used some midnight wheat in the black ipa I brewed Wednesday. There have been a few interesting dark grains coming to market for the black ipa brewers.

Taking all bets for the gravity at time of stuck fermentation!

Seriously, has this thing begun fermenting yet? If the vial of yeast you used was made yesterday, and therefore has 100billion yeast cells in it, you still only pitched about 20% of the recommended amount of yeast.

Read this before tackling another big beer: http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

Jesus people. Get your heads out of the gutter. Plenty of yeast was used. It was actually split into 2 carboys and half was done with S05 and half with wlp001 and yes, there are plenty of yeasts being used. Mine is the WLP001 batch and it took off within half a day. The only reason I even put yeast into beersmith is to get an approximate FG.

Thanks for derailing the thread though. As far as the black prinze goes, the local shop said that it has next to zero astringency or bitterness when used below 5% and its actually designed for this type of beer. Usage between 5-10% starts to get some roastiness which is why I decided not to use much else for roasted grains. I asked him about the midnight wheat and he said even at 2% its pretty roasty and dry.

I would have dropped the chocolate malt. The lack of roastiness gained from the Black Prinze is likely negated a bit by the chocolate malt. I would have used a dehusked carafa instead or just stuck with the BP.

I asked him about the midnight wheat and he said even at 2% its pretty roasty and dry.

I've searched the forums and haven't heard any feedback on the Midnight Wheat. I'll know in a week or so if there really is roastiness to it. If there is, I will switch to debittered black malt or dehusked carafa for my next iteration.

Why would you ask for feedback after you brewed this? I don't get it when people do this. You should just taste it after it is done and there is your feedback...

Why would you ask for feedback after you brewed this? I don't get it when people do this. You should just taste it after it is done and there is your feedback...

Um, how is people suggesting you might have underpitched derailing a thread in which you gave a recipe and asked, "What do you think?" :confused:

+1000 on both accounts

Why come here and ask for advice or "what do you think" then attempt to flame folks for helping...yes they are helping because someone other than you has copy pasted that recipe and wants to brew a Cascadian Dark Ale of there own. Therefore the feedback they read here on "your" thread will help them make just as good a beer that you have just brewed. Glad you found and are using Black Prinz lemme know how you like this grain.

Back