Black Ipa Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samaral

Reaction score
I'm putting together a recipe for a black ipa. Not sure about what hops to use with all that dark malt. I'm using about 1percent chocolate malt 3 percent dehusted black malt, 5 percent c80 and 3 percent midnight wheat. The rest is base malt. Thanks

Depends, do you want danky? Piney? Tropical? there are a few different types.

I did a black IPA with the following hop schedue:

1oz Columbus @60min
1oz Cascade@5min
1oz Columbus@5min

Dry Hop with 1.5oz Cascade for 7 days

Turned out great! The cascade gave it some great citrus flavour/aroma and the columbus made it a little dank, with some more fruit. Great hops to stand up to the dark malt.

I love the Firestone Walker Wookey Jack recipe thats on here. They use Magnum for bittering, and then Citra and Amarillo for all the late and dry hop editions. I think the citrus and tropical notes those hops provide really cuts through the dark malts and gives it some great flavor and aroma.

It's not a black IPA (hate that term), it's a Cascadian Dark Ale. Personally I used Cascade, Warrior and Crystal in my CDA during the boil and then dry-hopped with 2 oz. of Willamette leaf hops for about a week, right now it's probably my most popular beer.

Thanks all. I think I'm going to go with Columbus and cascade. I have those hops in my freezer and it sounds like a soild hop combo. I will let you know how it turns out.

It's not a black IPA (hate that term), it's a Cascadian Dark Ale. Personally I used Cascade, Warrior and Crystal in my CDA during the boil and then dry-hopped with 2 oz. of Willamette leaf hops for about a week, right now it's probably my most popular beer.

depends if you're being finicky about the whole NW thing or BJCP guidelines. Also, was reading mitch steeles IPA book and he makes a good point...
The things labeled as Black IPAs are VERY hope forward, more like an IPA painted black.
The things labeled as CDA/Cascadian Dark Ale tend to be more roasty and fruity... more like one of those chocolate oranges.
I was at a beer fest a few weeks ago and couldn't agree moer... they tend to be 2 different beasts all together.

Back