Black IPA / Cascadian Dark Ale - Extract Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannylicious

Reaction score
Hey guys (first post),

I've read, and searched. While I've seen a few recipes here and there for a Black IPA / Cascadian Dark Ale - most of what I've found has just been bickering about the name difference.

Can anyone point me in the right direction (or post up some) for recipes that would produce something similar to Southern Tiers Iniquity?

Also, if anyone knows of any great extract recipes for a "Hop Rod Rye" clone, I'd be eternally greatfull. Looking to brew a couple things up this weekend and those are my choices.

Any ideas on recipes?

There are a few in recent (July/August) issues of both BYO and Zymurgy. I plan on brewing the recipe for Barley Brown's "Turmoil" soon.

Dark malt syrup....never heard of that. Is that a regular ingredient for black IPAs or just something particular to this kit?

There are a few in recent (July/August) issues of both BYO and Zymurgy. I plan on brewing the recipe for Barley Brown's "Turmoil" soon.

http://***********/stories/article/...-widmer-brewing-co-w-10-pitch-black-ipa-clone

Is that the recipe you were speaking of?
I think I might give that a try this weekend! Looks good to me.

Hopping - let me know how that kit turns out, I particularly enjoy this style of beer, so I'm sure I'll want to be trying other variations!

http://***********/component/resource/article/2072-birth-of-a-new-style-cascadian-dark-ale

The story is followed by a few recipes, including the one you mentioned.

Hop Rod Rye clones available from BYO classic recipes. Google it.

Denny's RYE IPA is better IMO. Also posted all over the place.

I've been looking to brew a Black IPA and that link is very helpful. Just one question; why are my IBU's so far off when I plug this into Beersmith. I plugged the hop additions in identical and the AA% are the same. I have both batches set to 5 Gallons, any more and the IBU'a go down of course. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Turmoil Cascadian Dark Ale clone

IBU = 94
my calc = 65

BSM File

W-10 Pitch Black IPA clone

IBU = 65
My calc = 45

BSM File

I brewed the northern brewer kit and had one last week, super yummy but I want to give them a few more weeks in the bottle before we devour them. I'm not sure if it is like the beer you are looking for, but it seems like its going to be great.

Another vote for the Northern Brewer kit. My batch just came to "fruition" in the keg and it's really fantastic. The hops are dominant on the nose and they carry all the way through and then on the finish you get a nice light roastiness that really sets the beer apart from a regular IPA.

Hey guys (first post),

I've read, and searched. While I've seen a few recipes here and there for a Black IPA / Cascadian Dark Ale - most of what I've found has just been bickering about the name difference.

Can anyone point me in the right direction (or post up some) for recipes that would produce something similar to Southern Tiers Iniquity?

Also, if anyone knows of any great extract recipes for a "Hop Rod Rye" clone, I'd be eternally greatfull. Looking to brew a couple things up this weekend and those are my choices.

Any ideas on recipes?

Welcome to HBT!

Another vote for the Northern Brewer kit. My batch just came to "fruition" in the keg and it's really fantastic. The hops are dominant on the nose and they carry all the way through and then on the finish you get a nice light roastiness that really sets the beer apart from a regular IPA.
I'm at the same point, just crossed 4 weeks in the bottle and it is fantastic, certainly one I'll be doing again. Closest comparison I've had is Deschutes Hop in the Dark, actually prefer mine though I really do like the Deschutes.

actually prefer mine though I really do like the Deschutes.

Impressive! Deschutes HitD is one of the best examples of the style.

I've made numerous batches of CDAs, mostly with pale malt extract and de-husked german dark malts.

I made my last batch using Deschutes' preferred technique of using normal black malts (roasted barley & black patent), but cold-steeping instead of boiling. I cold-steeped a half pound of roasted barley and a half pound of black patent overnight in the fridge, strained it and dump the cold wert into the last 10 min of the boil.

Turned out fantastic. Dehusked german malts are harder to find (at least for me), so cold steeping is a convenient and cheap way to make CDAs without those fancy grains.

FYI, I still got just the right amount of roasty flavor while avoiding unpleasant astringency.

Hey guy, Sorry for the slow update, just have been nusy. OK to start I used the Northern Brewer Kit, but used White Labs California V ale yeast. so One week in the Primary, almost 3 weeks in the secondary ( I was out of town) and 2 weeks bottle conditioning. All I can say is that this was an excellent brew. The yeast gave off a rotten egg smell within 16 -20 hours, The House smelled like serious funk, but the smell settles after the first day and and is gone within a week. The Beer is awesome. Serious notes of coffee, chocolate, and tons of hops, but not so bitter that its tought to drink. The closest thing I can say it resembles is a coffee/chocolate stout mixed with a hoppy IPA. I actually like it better than any black, brown, dark IPA thats sold here in Maryland. This was my second brew and I am extremley happy with it. I think the team at NB did there job making this recipe. I would Highly recommend this kit. Im going to brew a "Dead Guy Ale" using their ingredients with some belgium sugar, a lil experiment. Hope this help. BTW there were no off tastes or smell of rotten eggs while drinking... :mug:

Agreed! Im drinkn NB Black IPA right now! For sure one of my fave's! I gotta batch in primary too, gonna dry hop with an oz of Cascadian when I move it to secondary in a couple days!

Back