Black gunk on the bottom of a new kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmacro

Reaction score
Just got a new kettle in, and I scrubbed it out - it looked clean as a whistle, but as I was drying the inside, I noticed the paper towel was jet black as I was drying the bottom - something that I couldn't see was staining the towels. So I scrubbed it again - same thing. So I scrubbed it two more times, and yet again - looks clean, but as soon as I try to dry it, the paper towels keep picking up some black junk

Anyone know what this stuff is? I have it in the dishwasher now, and I'm hoping this'll be the end of it, but I dunno what I'm gonna do if there's still black stuff around. Every time I scrub, the pot looks clean, but the paper towel keeps picking up some black stuff when I dry.

It's a Megapot, made by Polarware in China, if it makes any difference

Dish soap and the scrubby side of the sponge. I sent the damn thing thru the dishwasher and the bottom is clean but the sides are still showing gunk when I wipe it while wet.

H'mmm that's a bummer.
Maybe you need to passivate the stainless steel?

Stainless steel quality / purity is not what it used to be.
Some of the chinese stainless has terrible metallurgy, some seem spot-on perfect.

My guess is that it is residue from manufacturing, try hand washing it w/ dishwasher soap and hot water...I doubt there is anything wrong w/ your pot! Someone else posted similar findings I believe. Please let us know how you make out.

Like I said before, scrubbing the pot out with Dawn dishsoap and the rough side of a sponge didn't do much - the pot looked clean and shiny , but when wiped with a paper towel while the pot was wet, black gunk appeared on the paper towel.

Now for an update: ran the pot through the dishwasher - twice. Much less black stuff when I wipe now; the paper towel turns a very light shade of gray instead of instant black, so I'll run it through the dishwasher twice more and hope that fixes it

Your kettle has a brushed finish, correct? The brushed finish is much rougher and therefore holds much more machine residue (which I suspect is what the 'black gunk' is).

I would use some Bar Keepers Friend, as it is more abrasive, and/or do a boil in the kettle. One of the best ways to clean the machining oils is actually by just boiling water in it.

Try that and let us know how it looks! :mug:

-Ben

Your kettle has a brushed finish, correct? The brushed finish is much rougher and therefore holds much more machine residue (which I suspect is what the 'black gunk' is).

I would use some Bar Keepers Friend, as it is more abrasive, and/or do a boil in the kettle. One of the best ways to clean the machining oils is actually by just boiling water in it.

Try that and let us know how it looks! :mug:

-Ben

Bingo, it does indeed have a brushed finish.

Much appreciate the advice; I'll definitely go pick up some barkeepers friend (used to use that stuff to brush up pans with stuck-on food; works like magic)

On another note, it's good to know its' just machine oil; knowing Chinese standards, I was thinking there was a chance it might be some lead

It's a megapot, so it's as wide as it is tall; my dishwasher is standard size, and the kettle just barely fits in if I jigger the little dish-holder-finger-things around a bit

Back