Black Chest Freezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
I am going to build another keezer. The one I have turned into a fermentation chamber and I need to serve. I was looking for something in the 8cf class range. But the important thing is that it has to be black! Down the road, probably this winter, it will get a maple collar and top with a nice glossy coat. Basically a bar top look. In the meantime it will get a pine collar with a few shanks punched through it.

I have limited options on places to purchase. There is a walmart about an hour away. Home depot and Best Buy are about 2 hours, but they are in different towns and are 2 hours from each other. They all exist in the same city 3 hours away.

Don't have any expertise, but think I saw a thread where guys bought 7 cu ft at Home Depot for $150ish? They were white, but I'd imagine you could paint those suckers.

I bought a white chest freezer and painted it black. Took about an hour. I used Rustoleum Chalk Board Paint. I don't write on it, but I like the flat black shine and the texture.

I put a red pine collar on mine, with some trim pieces to make it pop, and polyurethaned it. Still looks new, 2 years later, and that's outdoors in FL, which is saying something.

I was looking at a 7.2 cf igloo that comes in black at Walmart. That is the shortest drive (120 miles round trip). I like the look of the black enamel.

Did you treat the freezer first before painting it? If I get the smaller one I could use it for other things down the road when I go a different route. I always need more freezer space!

I was looking at a 7.2 cf igloo that comes in black at Walmart. That is the shortest drive (120 miles round trip). I like the look of the black enamel.

Did you treat the freezer first before painting it? If I get the smaller one I could use it for other things down the road when I go a different route. I always need more freezer space!

I did prime my freezer with something... probably Kilz. Can't remembers. I put an orbital sander on it to scuff up the paint before I painted it.

I recently saw chest freezers on sale online with free home delivery.

Can't remember if it was home depot or best buy.

Check both. It was a really good deal...

Sears has an 8.8cf black chest freezer for $300...

I saw one the other day at my local store and just found it on my phone.

I'd post a link, but for whatever reason, sears won't com up on my work computer at the moment.

Back