Black and Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
So my dad loves B&Ts (particularly the Berkshire Brewing Company one) and wants me to brew him some for his birthday. I know traditionally it's two beers layered vs blended, but is this for anything beyond aesthetics? Is there any reason I couldn't blend a stout and pale ale in the secondary for a week or so before bottling or would I basically be creating a more difficult porter?

There are several Black & Tans on the market, including Mississippi Mud.

base_media

Personally I enjoy the two when blended seperately. The only commercial example I've had of a B&T was Yuenglings, which frankly I think tastes like $hit.

So I know there are several commercial ones (I've had 5 of them), but there isn't many and most aren't that good. This is why I'm curious if there is more to the layered look than aesthetic value. I guess I'll just ask the guys at Berkshire Brewing Company at the beer summit tomorrow since their one is the best I've had.

"A full bodied dark ale which is a blend of our Berkshire Ale and Drayman's Porter. It combines the caramel malt flavor of the pale ale with the chocolate roasted taste of the porter. Shabadoo is a complete and delicious ale. 6.3%

10% of the proceeds go to the Western Mass Food Bank in honor of Joe, the creator and our good friend."

Quoted from their website.

Sean From NH

thanks Sean, I had just saw the myself too. I still would like to ask if they do any conditioning with it, or if its simply just bottled together and if they think there is any difference in the blended or layered version.

Remember jello pudding singles? The ones with layers, like chocolate, vanilla, chocolate, etc.?

Think about 1) Taking your spoon and getting each layer on the spoon and taking a lick, then 2) swirl up everything and then taking a lick.

Though it's all from the same stuff, the two methods would impart different tastes and sensations. I'm not saying one is better or worse (everyone has preferences), but that they'd be different, and not just visually.

I think it's an apt analogy. And now I want some pudding and a black and tan (unmixed :)).

ok, give it be its been awhile since i had my last unmixed one, but when u drink a black and tan, don't the two layers meld in your mouth and remove any separate sensations?

When I've had the layered versions, I would drink them without mixing. But every time you tip the glass, they mix a bit, so by the time you get to the end you have a mix of unknown ratios. Mississippi Mud is one of the few pre-mixed ones I've had and it's good.

Back