Black ale - black malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themcnabs

Reaction score
How does this look. Is this too much black malt? I want it to be black.

12.5 gallons - OG 1.040

2-row - 15.0 lbs - 85.7%
Crystal 40 - .5 lbs - 2.9%
Crystal 80 - .5 lbs - 2.9%
Crystal 120 - .5 lbs - 2.9%
Black Malt - 1.0 Lbs 5.7%

Goldings 20 IBUs.

I assume you're planning on black patent malt and it sounds like you might be after color contribution more than flavor. If that's right, you might want to consider debittered black malt or midnight wheat. I think 5.7% black patent is going to be noticeable flavor-wise. FWIW I recently made a dark saison (5 gallon). I used 3.7% Midnight Wheat and it came out as dark as used motor oil.

I would like a little bit of roast flavor. The wheat is a good idea, maybe a combo of both.

Debittered black will give you flavor/roastyness without any bittering affect.

Cheers :mug:

Yep, so will the midnight wheat. My saison has been conditioning, so I haven't opened a bottle yet, but I did taste a sample while I was bottling. It seemed very similar to debittered malt to me...a smooth roastiness without any burnt/acrid characteristics.

Yep, so will the midnight wheat. My saison has been conditioning, so I haven't opened a bottle yet, but I did taste a sample while I was bottling. It seemed very similar to debittered malt to me...a smooth roastiness without any burnt/acrid characteristics.

Thats good to know, I want to try a dark wheat beer soon.

Cheers :mug:

I assume you're planning on black patent malt and it sounds like you might be after color contribution more than flavor. If that's right, you might want to consider debittered black malt or midnight wheat. I think 5.7% black patent is going to be noticeable flavor-wise. FWIW I recently made a dark saison (5 gallon). I used 3.7% Midnight Wheat and it came out as dark as used motor oil.

I actually have some midnight wheat on hand but have never used it. I just tasted it tonight for the first time and it is very tasty. ProMash tell me 3.7% will result in a brown in color. Do you mind sharing your recipe where you used 3.7% and it came out black.

Latest posts

Back