BK Pickup Tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorgiBrew

Reaction score
I've installed pickup tubes in my HLT and MLT (with a false bottom) and now am considering one in the BK as well to reduce the amount of wort lost to "dead space" when I drain it. At the same time, I'd like to minimize the amount of sludge I suck up off the bottom. Is it best to locate the end of the pickup tube against the side wall of the keggle? Should I use an SS squnchy, or something like that, as a filter over the end of the tube?

I angle mine at 90 degrees from the inside of the ball valve and run a piece of copper tubing to the side wall. I whirlpool after the boil during chilling to keep the majority of the trub in a cone in the middle of the keggle. I don't use a SS scrubbie but I know a lot of others do. I don't worry too much about the gunk going into the fermenter since it all settles out anyway.

Sounds good. I'm not so worried about the trub in my carboy as I'm worried about it clogging my brand new Ferminator's arteries. So I'll probably go with your method plus a scrubbie. Thanks!:)

Back