BJ's brewhouse funny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitter

Reaction score
Shiner Bock under dark beers on the menu...

Side note: havnt been here since I started brewing, their PM Porter tastes very bland now

I dunno....If I was making a beer list for a menu, I might put Shiner Bock under the 'dark' beer section. But then, if I was running a brewpub like BJs is supposed to be....I wouldn't have a vague menu section labeled "dark" beer.

Under the Dark Beer was listed Guiness, Newcastle, and Shiner Bock

I've been impressed with the beer at my local BJs, wonder if it varies from location to location? I like the IPA, Stout and they had a nice oak barrel aged strong ale with a hint of sourness.

Never paid attention to the non-BJs beers.

The only reason i go there is for the great selection of brews. Food and service at the local B.J.s stinks big time.

We just got one down here and I must say I do like the porter and the stout. However there other brews are weak.

The BJs close to me has about 15 or so guest taps. Most are weak, but they do have a few good local brews. Not huge on their own beers, though the fresh hop beer this summer was pretty good.

I hear you, I tried quite a few by the end of the night, didn't like the stout, the porter was bland and tasted stale/flat. Ended the night with a few glasses of the Nutty Brunette, which was pretty tasty.

I would absolutely put Shiner under dark beers if there wasn't an extensive beer menu. Of course, BJ's is another story. But you put Shiner under a lighter beer category then someone is bound to ***** about it being too dark.

It is no different than someone giving me Clutch one night and telling me it was an amber easy drinking ale. It was not that, not even remotely close. I didn't like it one bit and dumped it.

With the Belgian bottle selection they have (and the fact that I live in BFE where NO ONE has a decent Belgian selection) I never drink their beer when I find myself at a BJs. I tried a few of their house brews the first time, saw the menu, did the math, decided to not throw good money after bad, and ponied up the couple extra bucks to drink great beer. Why drink "Tatonka" when you can have Orval?!?!

With the Belgian bottle selection they have (and the fact that I live in BFE where NO ONE has a decent Belgian selection) I never drink their beer when I find myself at a BJs. I tried a few of their house brews the first time, saw the menu, did the math, decided to not throw good money after bad, and ponied up the couple extra bucks to drink great beer. Why drink "Tatonka" when you can have Orval?!?!

I saw a good 20+ Belgian beers but didn't know any of the names... more research is needed!

BJ's is great, the prices/food are REALLY hard to beat at lunchtime, so I get lunch there with my dad regularly.

As for their beers, their Oasis Amber is one of my favorites, and I like their PM Porter, Blonde and Lightswitch lagers.

lumpher said:
so is "the dank" a new term? if some1 described my beer as "the dank", they wouldn't be invited over anymore. i'd probably even feel compelled to spit in their shoes.

I dunno, man, I'm all about the Simcoe/Chinook massive aroma. The dank seems pretty positive to me.

It's not a new term. When I think of dank I think of a fresh bag of Simcoe.

Its like saying "man that pizza was bomb"

Just means good.

so is "the dank" a new term? if some1 described my beer as "the dank", they wouldn't be invited over anymore. i'd probably even feel compelled to spit in their shoes.

It's a Northwest thing... Never understood it myself when I lived in Washington/Oregon for all of 5 years

Back in the day I thought shiner bock was it, before I got into craft beer and homebrew. I still drink it. It's everywhere in Texas. I just googled dank-as an expression - high quality, others-unpleasantly cold or wet and highly potent weed.

Back