BJCP style question - sweet stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipsrx

Reaction score
If you are entering a home-brew competition following BJCP guidelines, would you classify a sweet stout with black walnuts as sweet stout category or would it fall under specialty beer or another category?

If you are entering a home-brew competition following BJCP guidelines, would you classify a sweet stout with black walnuts as sweet stout category or would it fall under specialty beer or another category?

This beer would go under category 21A - spice/ herb/vegetable.

Pulled from the guidelines "This category may also be used for chile pepper, coffee-, chocolate-, or nut-based beers (including combinations of these items)."

Thanks! I was afraid of that. I am entering my first competition and registered before thinking things through. What about a beer that is bourbon barrel aged?

Thanks! I was afraid of that. I am entering my first competition and registered before thinking things through. What about a beer that is bourbon barrel aged?

That would go in category 22C - wood aged beers. These specialty categories give you the option to write a brief description so the judges know what they're drinking. Writing a good description is very important so the judges evaluate it properly. What's the base style?

It fits the imperial stout style except for the IBU of 50-90 (little low at 35), but spot on with the beer I was trying to copy which was the bourbon barrel aged imperial stout from Port Brewing Company. I checked the rules and was able to email the competition chair to hopefully get both recategorized.

Back