BJCP Style Guidelines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help on which style to enter for an upcoming competition. I've got an American IPA (West Coast), but used a Belgian Yeast (WLP530). I was thinking it would be category 23, but then noticed 16E. Any ideas on which one this would fall into? 16E specifically mentions "Belgian IPA" but my base is an American IPA, so I wasn't sure. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

If the Belgian yeast character (phenolic) comes through I would enter 16E.

Yes stay out of 23, I've judged that group a couple times now and its more for the peanut butter porter type beer than a beer with a subtle style difference like a Belgian IPA. Hopefully when the guidelines get updated soon, the IPA category will be expanded to include Belgian IPA's, Black IPAs and other specialty IPAs. But for now Belgian specialty might be a good fit.

My concern with 16E is if the American hops overpower the yeast then some judges may not score it as such. Taste it first and go from there.

Great, thanks for the advise guys. This beer definitely screams American IPA with the aroma of citra and simcoe and took 1st in a local comp. This is my first time switching it up with the Belgian yeast so i'm hoping they work well together. Based on the hydro sample I could taste some of that Belgian character coming through...I think 16E is the way to go.

Back