BJCP Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagbardceline

Reaction score
Tonight I finished off my Gose.

It finished at 1.020 after six weeks (started at 1.053). It has a nice sourness to it with lots of Malt character. Over time I would assume the brett will continue to develop but there is a homebrew comp coming up (SPHBC). If I submitted it would be in the next two weeks.

I have much respect for SPHBC as it seems to me they have some of the best, most knowledge people around. What should I enter this as? It is a nice dark English Bitter color yet cloudy.

this is the grain bill:

4.5 lbs German Wheat Malt
4.5 lbs German Pils
.5 lbs Flaked Oats
.5 lbs Marris Otter

Northern brewer .75 oz @ 60
Perle .5 @ 15 minutes

Fermented with 3191 Berliner Weiss...

I also added Salt and Coriander.

I know there is talk (or fact?) of a Gose style...I have only tasted 1 Gose but it tasted nothing like this.

Sour ale? German Wheat? Specialty beer?

Honestly even tho it is historically incorrect I would enter it was a farmhouse ale...but then again there isn't even a Saison cat...so maybe the french and belgain cat? Although I would think the heavy malt taste woudln't do well in that cat...even tho i think it fits in very nicely with some beir de garde and farmhouse ales i have tasted.

Since there isn't a category for it under sour ale I think it best fits in
Speciality Beer.

Any where else I think you will get penalized for the sourness/spice/salt.

Craig

It will have to be in the Specialty beer category. All the extras will kill you anywhere else, because BJCP is all about brewing to Style.

I judged a competition this year & the best tasting beer in the flight got the second lowest score. It was a great Mild, but it had been submitted as a Special Bitter.

Latest posts

Back