BJCP Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termonfeckin

Reaction score
Hey guys,
For halloween this year I brewed a pumpkin stout, and I'm looking to enter it into a local colleges competition. I'm a bit stumped though as to what category to put it under.
Originally I'd have thought 30B, Autumnal Seasonal Beer, but that pretty clearly states amber to copper colour.
So now I'm not sure if it should go under 29B-Fruit and Spice, 30A-Spice, Herb or Vegetable, or I just say screw it and put it under the sweet stout category.

Any advice is welcome!

So I have the new BJCP categories app and it looks 30B is listed as a Autumn Seasonal Beer category. See if your competition is using the new 2015 BJCP system. If they are not, then you should enter it under 30A.

Also, even if it is a good beer, it is technically can't be held to the standard of a sweet stout.

Good luck! Competitions are a blast and you get feedback too.

So I have the new BJCP categories app and it looks 30B is listed as a Autumn Seasonal Beer category. See if your competition is using the new 2015 BJCP system. If they are not, then you should enter it under 30A.

Also, even if it is a good beer, it is technically can't be held to the standard of a sweet stout.

Good luck! Competitions are a blast and you get feedback too.

If it's the old 2008 guidelines, there IS no 30A :D.

Since it's a vegetable/spice beer, it should go in that category. In the "old" guidlines, that's 21A.

In the 2015 guidelines, that's 30B (the autumnal beer), if the pumpkin and spice are notable. Name the base beer, and then the specialty ingredients. If it's more of a stout, but with a hint of spice, it would be more of a 30A.

Back