BJCP Exam Prep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
I’m looking at starting to prep for the BJCP exam and I see the new style guide is posted on their site now in draft format.

Should I study off the new guidelines or will there be any more changes coming up?

Also, if anyone has any good resources to point me in the right direction for BJCP prep I appreciate it any help I can get. I live in an area with no exams or study groups so it will be self driven ☺

Right on the BJCP Exam page, about three quarters of the way down, is a "Study for the Beer Judge Exam" section with links to study guides, sample tests, PDF's, etc. The Study Guide lists dozens of books to read to help. http://www.bjcp.org/examcenter.php

If you are not going to be taken the test until after November, which is when the new guide goes into effect I believe, then study the new guideline.

Have to taken the entrance exam yet? You can take that any time for $10. If you pass, then the next test, the Online Exam is the one you really need to study for to pass. Not that the entrance test is easy either...it's 200 questions and no walk in the park. But you can take it over and over. Good luck!

Study the current guidelines until the BJCP announces that the new guidelines are to be used for tasting exam. FWIW, much of the 2014 guidelines are still in draft and not likely to implemented anytime soon. You can check them out on the BJCP forum if you're curious.

In my experience most of the tasting exam is being able to evaluate a beer and identify off-flavors. If you can write coherently and descriptively then you'll nail the exam.

I would strongly recommend volunteering to either judge or steward at any BJCP contests you can find nearby. This will help you a TON when it comes to getting prepared to take the real test. If you haven't done any before, the contest organizers will most likely pair you with an experienced judge who will help you out. It is the best practice you can do to prepare for the tasting exam, and you'll probably go home with some goodies or free beer!

That's probably the best "practice" that you can do. Most competitions are usually hurting for judges so they'd take novice or non-BJCP judges any day.

Great advice, thanks everyone!

I would love to volunteer at a competition but there are no competitions anywhere close to me. The closest competition is about 4 hrs away once a year.

One of the reasons i really want to become certified is to help organize and plan competitions.

Also.. i had no idea there as a bjcp forum.. not sure how i missed that lol

Back