BJCP...doctoring beer for a beginer judge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss429

Reaction score
How and in what styles should i practice off flavors?

ok well I'm not really active in anything in my life other than school and have decided I want to try to become a BJCP. I read the study guide memorizing is a matter of effort and is no big deal now ability to identify flavors and odors is most likely in our genetic traits (such as tones in ears). I realized that if I plan on trying this I better get started asap so I saw on the study guide there is doctoring of beer.

pretty much take into consideration I am a beginner and I do not know what DMS taste like vegetables??? like a picture of broccoli?? and wth sulfiticis made with potassium metabisulfite? it looks like a huge dose.

Anyways help a newb out I'm in no hurry to get BJCP I just want to practice to start to become familiar with off flavors.

Well, the best way to get a good number of off flavors into your beer is to use the Siebel sensory evaluation kit. The upside of this is that you will get a good dose of each of these flavors and you can clearly identify them in the samples. The kit is also good for something like a dozen people.

The big issue with this is that the kit is 180 dollars. Luckily, I've been through it 3 times and it helps more every time.

Since that is prohibitive, you can start with easy to achieve off flavors like skunk. All it takes is a few minutes in the sun for that one!

I'm taking the BJCP test on the 10th. Hope I pass!

If you know someone in the BJCP they can now get the kit for $50 according to a recent update on the website. Get a study group together.

Yea k sounds expensive. Ill start with simple stuff like vinegar and skunking etc... then once I can get thoes down ill order one of thoes kits.

A class is really the best way and as remilard says, BJCP classes can get an off-taste kit free.

can you give me link to that? I didnt find the classes. But I did find the test schedule and saw there one in like may here in sd I might want to take that one If i get enough book studies.

Do other locations have these classes? I'm planning on taking the test in February in Asheville, but would love to have some outside help.

Do other locations have these classes? I'm planning on taking the test in February in Asheville, but would love to have some outside help.

There is a class associated with nearly every exam. In general, the people sitting the exam will have taken that class.

Back