BJCP Competitions - What happens to disqualified beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stunsm

Reaction score
I sent my first beer off to competition a few weeks ago, carefully following all instructions, or so I thought. I somehow missed the bit stating "Obliterate any lettering or graphics on the cap with a permanent black marker", and sure enough, my cap had a little small lettering. So, if my beer is disqualified, is it still judged but ineligible to place, or is it given away to the volunteers? I don't much care about winning any awards, but I'm really looking forward to a professional critique, and will be pretty bummed if it just gets tossed.

Call them and explain what happened and ask if someone could black out your cap for you prior to the comp.

It is up to the competition organizer as to what happens. Similar questions come up for non-complying bottles (e.g. too big or small). You could email them and find out.

It could be they just blacked it out for you, or it could be they dump it in the bin.

I would hope that whoever receives the shipment would take the time to paint your cap for you. But I wonder if I could get a job as the disqualified beer disposal container if they don't. Good luck I hope you get your feedback.

Beers are almost never disqualified. If I were the organizer, I would sharpie the cap myself if I had a problem with it. Most other organizers would do the same.

I can only hope that the organizer took note of my oversight and blacked it out for me. I think I would be forever discouraged from entering again if, after spending more than the brew cost in entry fees and shipping, I just got a note back saying I was disqualified with no other info.

I can only hope that the organizer took note of my oversight and blacked it out for me. I think I would be forever discouraged from entering again if, after spending more than the brew cost in entry fees and shipping, I just got a note back saying I was disqualified with no other info.

I doubt that will happen. Any reasonable organizer will make a bona fide effort to judge all of the beer and since your bottle requires 1 second with a sharpie, I think that falls under "bona fide effort".

Now you know though, most comps have similar rules on bottle presentation. You can't go wrong with a standard long neck with no markings anywhere. Try using printable round labels on the caps to mark your beers. Very fast to produce and put on and easy to read and come off very easily if you need to enter them.

I only use standard longnecks or the 33cl rochefort/st bernardus type bottle. Keeps things simple and they all fit in the same size case box which is convenient for me and convenient for comps (the NHC requires bottles that fit in a standard case slot).

The permanent sharpie ink can be removed from caps with domestic ethanol... I did it in my recent submissions to the aha competition. Cheap and easy.

Back