BJCP Competition Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
Two separate questions, hopefully someone can lend some advice!

1. I have two IPAs that I'd like to submit into the next competition here locally, yet the rules state that you cannot enter two beers into the same subcategory. The two are an all Columbus IPA and the other is a Centennial/Cascade. Nothing crazy about the grain bills. How can I get them both in; submit one into Pale Ale and risk it being "too hoppy"?

2. I also have a Rye Blonde that I am going to submit, and I currently have it registered under Blonde Ale. Because of the significant amount of Rye, would it be OK to keep it in the Blonde category, or would it belong elsewhere? It's about 23% Rye, rest is 2-row, Vienna, and a touch of honey malt.

Just to expand on tmendick's second point - you'll need to let your senses guide you. You know there is significant rye in it, but if the judges didn't know that, would they taste it? You'll need to decide if it has enough rye character to stand out and if so, tmendick is right about the Alt Grain category.

You could enter it in both - as a blonde ale and an alt grain. That is allowed in most competitions.

I imagine you've read and understand the entry rules, however I have seen some contests say one may not enter two of the same beer, meaning from the same batch. So, if that is the case, you can enter both.

May not be an issue anyway. I believe I accidentally overcarbed this beer and I have to submit these entries by this Friday. I'm burping the keg periodically to try and equalize it, but I don't anticipate it being ready in time. :(

If the friend or family member didn't brew it, that would be lying, not the best option, perhaps.

And? It’s a local beer comp not the olympics. I guess if he thinks he actually has a chance at gold then it’s not fair to stack the cards in his favor but if he’s just looking for feedback then no big deal. Each beer needs to pay the entrance fee and the judges will get to drink his beer, he’s really doing them a favor if you think about it.

And it wouldn’t be him who’s being dishonest, it’d be his friend who’s entering his beer ;)

And? It’s a local beer comp not the olympics. I guess if he thinks he actually has a chance at gold then it’s not fair to stack the cards in his favor but if he’s just looking for feedback then no big deal. Each beer needs to pay the entrance fee and the judges will get to drink his beer, he’s really doing them a favor if you think about it.

And it wouldn’t be him who’s being dishonest, it’d be his friend who’s entering his beer ;)

Your logic works the other way, too - if its not important, then why lie about it? If you choose to enter a competition, just follow the competition's rules. If he's looking for feedback, enter it in another competition - there are plenty of them.

And generally, just as human beings, it is best not to lie. We all do, of course, but perhaps its better to build up good karma.

Last edited:
I agree with Tom on both counts.

If you want real feedback you would need to enter your beer in the proper category. If it is an IPA in the Pale Ale category the judges will (should) know and will judge it as too hoppy.

With that in mind though, go ahead and enter the best one as a IPA and the other as a PA. You will at least get some feedback, keeping in mind that you will may get knocked for the hops.

I'd recommend trying both beers on a clean palate and try to objectively judge them against the IPA and Pale Ale guidelines yourself. Depending on your recipe and how long you ago you brewed them, one or both may fit in as a Pale.

I have found that often beers I'd consider too hoppy for the style are the beers that place in the Pale category. I'm not sure if it is a sign of the times or if the hoppier beers just stand out more to the judges...I

Good luck!

Back