BJCP Category: Imperial Hazelnut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpySquirrel

Reaction score
I am entering an 8.5% ABV Robust Porter with Hazelnut flavor and I can't decide if I want to enter 12B (Robust Porter), 12C (Baltic Porter because of higher ABV), or 23 ("Imperial" Porter has no home).

Can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere. Thanks!

If the hazelnut is more than a small background flavor, it should go in 21A Spice/Herb/Vegetable. If you look at the commercial examples, Rouge Hazelnut Brown Nectar is listed: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style21.php

If you can barely small/taste the hazelnut and its just a small background note, you go still enter it as a Robust Porter. Baltic Porter is such a different beer style than Robust Porter so I wouldn't enter it there (Baltic is much more malt focused, sweeter, not as roasty, and lower bitterness than a robust). It would be closer to an imperial Brown Porter than an Imperial Robust Porter.

Good luck!

I am thinking that is a 21A beer....spice/herb/vegetable.

I would think it would be out of style for anything else.

Meh, late on the trigger.

Thanks guys. Hazelnut is pretty light because I was playing it safe with the extract. I was worried that the OG and FG were too high for Robust Porter so that's why I thought 23.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back