Bittering Hops & Finishing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
Do you put them in a cloth bag or directly into the pot?

The first batch I made had instructions to put them in a cloth bag so I have with my 2nd and 3rd batch but on the last two the instructions didn't say anything about putting them in a cloth bag or not.

Thanks

It's strictly up to you. When I did extract and extract with grains brewing, I usually used muslin hop bags, simply for the convenience and ease of clean-up. Now that I'm doing all-grain full boils, I don't bother - I just throw the hops in. I did that with some of my extract brews, too. I should also mention that I have been using whole hop flowers for the last year and a half. Prior to that, I was using pellets.

My only tip would be to make sure and not pack the hops into your hop bag too tightly . You want them loose so that you don't have any dry clumps. You want that wort to saturate those hops and get all the flavor out of them that you can!

Back