Bittering, Aroma, Flavor? Hops 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgian Novice

Reaction score
Here is an interesting one that I need clarification on, if you don't mind. From what I have read, there is no real difference between bittering, flavoring, or aroma hops, is there? Besides when you add them in the boil process. I know some have higher AA and I would guess that that would raise "bittering" values, but a little confused overall about them.

The reason I am asking is because I made an Octane IPA with a friend, extract, 5 gallons. 4oz Cascade beginning of the boil, 1 oz Willamette with 10 minutes to go or so, 1 oz of Kent Goldings at the end. 90 minute boil. Smell is wonderful, very hoppy, with 7 days in primary. Going to rack to secondary this weekend and curious if I should dry hop it some. But would that add to the bitterness, the aroma, or the flavor, or all 3.

Thanks for the help, friends.

Just to the aroma. Hops need to be boiled to release their bitterness. As you noted, the difference is related to how long the hops are boiled; in effect, as they are boiled, the aroma compounds are first driven off, then the flavor, leaving only bitterness. But, no boil - no bitterness, just the hop "nose".

I'd dry hop it, personally - IPAs want that aroma to them.

Right! All hops produce bittering (60 min boil), flavoring (15 min boil) and aroma (after the flame is turned off).

Some hops are stronger (higher AA%) than others.

Some hop types are split into bittering and aroma because they are best used that way.:D

Dry hopping only adds aroma to the brew.

All of the above. High AA hops are better for bittering mainly because you use less for the same impact. As an example, you could have used two ounces of Centennial (sometimes called Super Cascades) in the boil and ended up with a very similar profile.

Really excellent responses and appreciate you clearing that up. Much better information than a lot of the books and once again glad I am a part of this forum. :) :ban:

Hi there.
I know this post is pretty old, but maybe someone will still be looking at it and be able to give me an answer.

What exactly is the difference between Flavor and Aroma?
Thanks!

Back