Bittering Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Does any flavor come through with a 60 min bittering addition? Or does Willamette come through the same as Cascade or Centennial or Warrior when used for bittering?
What if used for a 45-50 min addition?

It depends on the hops variety. Some, like magnum, are "clean" and very neutral as bittering hops. But I get some qualities, other than bitterness, out of some of the varieties. Chinook doesn't really give citrus or pine flavor, but instead a bit of a harsh edge (probably due to the cohumulone content).

So, you don't really get much flavor of the hops carrying through when you use them for bittering, but sometimes you can get "clean" or "harsh" or "pungent" out of those additions.

I tend to use magnum for bittering quite a few of my beers, because of the neutral bittering flavor plus the high AAUs without any harshness.

I will be making a blonde and a revised honey wheat with only a bittering addition and had figured I'd use Willamette (wheat) and Liberty (blonde), but could certainly use much less Centennial (which I just received 1/2 lb of) in place of the few oz I got of the former.
Should I do that instead or will it be noticed?
I would certainly save them for a nut brown ale or ESB or something appropriate...

I will be making a blonde and a revised honey wheat with only a bittering addition and had figured I'd use Willamette (wheat) and Liberty (blonde), but could certainly use much less Centennial (which I just received 1/2 lb of) in place of the few oz I got of the former.
Should I do that instead or will it be noticed?
I would certainly save them for a nut brown ale or ESB or something appropriate...

It may be noticeable in a blonde. I'd probably go with the willamette for bittering, even though you need a tad more to get the same IBUs.

Back