Bitter with SA-04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djfake

Reaction score
I have an English Bitter kit (Innkeeper from Northern Brewer), and I want to use one of two dry yeasts: SAFALE SA-04 or DANSTAR NOTTINGHAM ALE YEAST.

I plan on keeping the beer in the primary for two weeks then another two weeks bottle conditioning. The Safale S-04 is said to enhance maltiness, and can tolerate up to 76F. My basement is what it is, and I don't think it will be below 70F for the next month or so. The Nottingham states is 70F max, which I just know my basement will be warmer than.

Sorry, no herculean ice baths or coolers for the primary. Maybe just a fan on the floor.

Any thoughts?

If you're looking for a more English flavor profile, as I would be, I'd go with the 04. Nottingham will give you a cleaner profile.

I hear you that your fermentation temps are what they are. If you want to drop them to the low to mid 60s, it's not hard or difficult - a bin or chest of water and swap out a frozen half-gallon juice bottle once or twice a day.

Cheers!

I like s-04 in my English bitters. I ferment around 69-70 and it adds some nice esters without going over the top.

S-04 and Notty are the two 'English' yeasts that I would NOT ferment over 70F. The former gets pretty nasty tasting at higher temps and Notty can develop a tartness that doesn't go away.

Fermenting at 70+F is generally a good way to ruin a batch of beer, though some people like drinking sh*te beer. Good luck.

S-04 can in theory tolerate 76F temperatures but it would be a whole lot better if you could just use the swamp cooler method pappers suggested. S-04 is a simple, workhorse strain: treat it right with cool temperatures and a cell count (easy since you are using the whole pouch!) and it'll ferment clean and dry. It's not as "interesting" as other liquid options for a bitter, but it'll still give you a very nice beer.

If you want to drop them to the low to mid 60s, it's not hard or difficult - a bin or chest of water and swap out a frozen half-gallon juice bottle once or twice a day.

Cheers!

Fill a keg bucket third to half with H20, then rotate the ice packs? Drape with towel? I guess it's better to use a glass carboy (5gal) or is plastic bucket (6.5gal) okay?

What about temp swings? I work during the day, so there will be a good part of the day that I can't get to it (come to think about it, I sleep a good portion of the night too). I've read that consistency in temp is very important. Basement floor is 72F right now.

A tub of water will have more thermal mass so it will help even out temp swings. I use plastic buckets in one of the big keg tubs and do just as you said, fill it partway up with water and then swap out frozen bottles.

If you're going to have a fan running on it, you can also drape the towel on it to increase evaporative cooling. Just make sure the towel reaches the water so it wicks up and evaporates. I don't do that, just the ice bottles, but a lot of folks here have had great results with it.

What about temp swings? I work during the day, so there will be a good part of the day that I can't get to it (come to think about it, I sleep a good portion of the night too). I've read that consistency in temp is very important. Basement floor is 72F right now.

+1 to ChesireCat

You could keep a floating thermometer in the tub, and swap out the frozen juice bottles morning and evening. There is some temperature swing, but as long as it stays in the mid to low 60s, you'll be happy.

Thanks guys for some solid, not condescending advice. Off to Menards to pick up a tub.

Back