Bitter Wit beer, WHY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
I brewed this wit on 1/13/08. the starting grav was at 1.042. I checked today to see where it was and its at 1.006. It smelled good, like coriander, but then i tasted it and it is really bitter and tart. Is this ok? I noticed the airlock had stuff on it from the kraussen, it could have been plugged, not sure. the beer looks fine, alittle on the thin side, but its just really bitter. Is it just because its a young beer?

I am going to keg it. Should I keg it now or wait longer before kegging it?

I've always noticed that my wheat beers turn out hoppier than I planned. Even though my calculated IBU's are in range, I usually have to let it sit longer for it to mellow.

I've always wondered if there's something about high ratio wheat beers where the maltiness is maybe more delicate? That's my only explanation why the hops stick out more. I have nothing technical to back this up, just a thought.

Whats the recipe? How much orange peel, coriander, and (i'm guessing) saaz did you use? What was the boil volume?

Tartness is normal in a wit. Give it a little time and get it carbonated and I bet it will be great.

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
4.25lbs. Pilsen (2 Row) France
3.25lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat America
.80 lbs. Flaked Oats America
1 Ibs DME

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.25 oz. Hallertau 60 min
.75 oz. Hallertau 10 min

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
1.00 Oz Corriander Seed Spice 15 Min.(boil)
1.00 Oz Bitter Orange Peel Spice 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
Wyeast Labs 2565 Kolsh *******The Recipe called for White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale but LHBS was out.

It is a bit higher on hops and spice than I like in a wit..but to your taste..I did a 1 oz coriander and thought it was way too much and now go for .33 to .5 of coriander and .5 to 1 oz of both bitter and sweet oarnge peel.

just a thought..my one batch with 1 oz of coriander was badd all around and really like more oarnge peel than coriander.

Jay

How much longer should I wait to keg it. And once its kegged how long should Icold condition it.

Next time cut your hops in half and you'll be set. Adding the candi will help with the balance too... a little more alcohol. WLP400 is definitely what you wanted... the yeast really contribute to the funk!! Belgian yeast kicks ass ;)

Back