Bitter tasting worts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTower

Reaction score
I've noticed a trend in my last couple brews....the wort sample tastes really bitter. When I put together the recipe for my IIPA, I purposely limited the bittering hops because I don't like bitter very much, and the wort tasting had me a little scared because of how bitter it was. I tasted it when I moved it to secondary, and the bitterness was mostly gone, it was just a hop-punch to the face...delicious. And I just brewed a porter tonight and that wort was also surprisingly bitter. I got the roasty, chocolaty malt flavors before and after the bitter, but still....

Does anyone else notice their wort is surprisingly bitter? Is there a reason for this? I would think it should taste sweet because of all the unfermented sugars, but apparently not.

Almost all times my wort gravity sample is weird and bitter tasting. But I drink it every time... I think its a rule.

Mine never is, perhaps you are over-sparging (if you are all grain) or something.

I find it varies a lot depending on the recipe. But yeah, I have had a couple of beers that were undrinkably bitter when I tried the first hydrometer sample, and which turned out to be lovely when they were fermented, carbed and aged.

As strange as it sounds I think the sweetness accentuates the bitterness too, in regular food things like sugar and salt bring out other flavors it stands to reason that this could happen in wort as well.

Rule #1: RDWHAHB:mug:
Rule #2: Never try to judge your beer by the taste of the wort, the yeast have not even had a chance to do their magic yet!

This was all more of a curious observation that any type of worrying. And I'm making a IIPA because I like hop flavor, and I figured a big beer with a lot of flavor/aroma hops and dry-hops would remain malty enough to offset the bitterness and have a lot of hop flavor. Plus it made my house smell awesome.

+1 on the bitter wort, always bitter but yesterday I brewed a Bitburger clone and the sample was undrinkable, took 2 sips and tossed it. Im sure it will turn out great but yeah they are always bitter.

Once you've sampled a hundred worts or so you might be able to guess what the final product will taste like. lol

I have had worts that seemed really bitter but when it came tine to drink the beer I was wondering what happened to the bitterness and I've also had the opposite occur.

I've never tasted it, but I've read that braun hefe (the dark kraeusen that sticks to the side of the fermenter) is incredibly bitter. Makes sense, since hop resins coat yeast cells as observed in the Brew Strong episode on repitching. That's probably where a good amount of the bitterness goes.

Back