Bitter belgian white

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkocher13

Reaction score
I made a belgian white based off of Austin home brews blue moon clone. Here is the Recipe.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale 1214
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes:

Ingredients

5.00 lb Belgian Pilsner (2 Row)
3.00 lb Flaked Wheat
1 lb Flaked Oats
1 ib White Wheat
0.50 oz Cascade (5.4%) (45min)
0.50 oz Cascade (5.4%) (10 min)
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min)
0.50 oz Coriander Seed, Crushed (Boil 15.0 min)
Wyeast 1214

Mash Schedule:
Single Infusion
Total Grain Weight (lb's)--10

Protein rest at 122 30 min
Saccarifcation Rest 154 30 min
Batch Sparge 168 10 min

Brew day went great. Hit all my numbers and fermentation started right away. fermented at 70 degrees.
I followed the above recipe but for some reason once kegged my beer has a bitter after taste that hits you right on the back of your tongue.

Wyeast 1214 wasn't my first choice, but it was what the home brew store had.

Does anybody have any ideas and will this get any better???????

Did you just crack the coriander or did you grind it? If ground up it can become more potent and bitter. It's possible the orange is bittering it as well. I just made a wit and it was a little bitter from the orange. It mellowed out a week later.

I ground it in a spice grinder, not real fine, but a lot more than just a crush. Do you think it will mellow out?

Probably will mellow. I found the grinder to grind it too fine, it gives the beer a much different flavor. I just put the seeds in a ziploc and cracked them with a rolling pin. I only used half of your amount as well. Also what kind of coriander did you use? From a lhbs or the supermarket?

Yeah, gonna say the corriander. 15 mins is a pretty long time for a somewhat finer crush. And yes, gonna say it will mellow. I crush with a rolling pin as well and add around 7 minutes or so. This is probably one you'll really enjoy in a month, which is not the norm for a belgian but nothing wrong with it

I used coriander from my garden :) Would that make a big difference? Looks like another brew day is in order. I need to try and perfect it.

If you grew cilantro and used the seeds from that it is a completely different plant. Although the seeds are coriander they are a different variety. You want Indian coriander. They taste much different.

I used allspice and Indian coriander ground in a coffe bean grinder. Yeah very different flavor this will need to mellow out a little before its any good IMO. I almost dumped it but I just put it in time out until it chills out.

Back