bitter beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
I am transferring for my primary to secondary and I tasted a bit and it is quite bitter.
I am making an Irish red. I have made this before and don't recall it being this bitter at this stage. Do you think I got something wrong? Is there a way to sweeting things up a bit before bottling? Starting gravity 1.055 final gravity 1.015 I think but I may not know how to read the hydrometer. What do you think?

Anything is possible. I wouldn't concern yourself with it until it's been in the bottle a month or so. It will probably mellow out just fine.

Did you change anything in the recipe? If not it could just need a little more time to age.

I actually had the same thing happen to me a couple times. Most recently was quite a surprise - I was trasfering a Canadian Blonde to secondary and it had a bitter bite that was totally unexpected - hopefully it will mellow out after bottling though. Usually does - I find a few weeks n the bottle can work wonders for taste :)

My beers often seem much more bitter when racking than one would anticipate by looking at the recipe. After proper conditioning, though, balance returns.

TL

ok thanks. I feel better. I'll just wait and see what happens.

Back