Bitter Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bottled yesterday, and I was surprised with what I tasted. This was just a simple Ale, (Amber malt, cascade hops, finshing hops and Ale Yeast), so I expected more of a Sierra Nevada taste, because the taste of the beer was good when I racked from primary to secondary. But, when I tasted my green beer when I bottled it was very bitter, not like before, it was more of a sweet taste earlier. I'm assuming this is normal, but the taste really changed in the ten days while my beer sat in the secondary. Any ideas why?

I am just going to guess, since I am by now means an expert, but mine do the same thing and I have attributed it to the remaining sugars getting processed and/or falling out? I tasted some of my trub and it was a little sweet. I figured that as it went on, there was less sugar compared to the same bitterness. I am sure that I am wrong, but it is what I have experienced....also remember that bitterness will mellow with age. all of mine have been very bitter, but great after conditioning for a while.

Right on the mark. That's why it is important to sample and take notes. Nothing worse than discovering for the fourth time, that your {favorite] really tastes best after two months of conditioning, but you only have one bottle left, again.

Back