Double IPA Bitchin' Dippah (DIPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydster

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Nope, just use 2 packs.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, 65 for first 3 days then raise to 68
Additional Fermentation
Dry hop as soon as krausen falls, leave in for 3-5 days and then package
Tasting Notes
Dank Citrus IIPA
This is a IIPA I made several times as an extract recipe. You're going to burn through a lot of hops really fast. And it will be worth it.

Recipe:

10 lbs Golden Light DME - 3 lbs added at beginning of boil, the rest at flameout
12 oz turbinado sugar - added at flameout
8 oz C40 - steeped @ 155 for 30 minutes

60-minute, 3-gallon boil.

1 oz CTZ @ 60
1 oz Cascade @ 25
1 oz Simcoe @ 20
1 oz Cascade @ 15
1 oz Simcoe @ 10
1 oz Cascade @ 5

After flameout, cool wort to 180, then whirlpool/steep 2oz CTZ, 1 oz Cascade, and 1 oz Simcoe for 30-45 minutes.

Top up to 5.5 gallons, cool to 62, pitch 2 packets rehydrated US-05. Ferment at 64-65 for the first few days until fermentation starts to slow down, then raise to 68 to finish.

As soon as fermentation is done, dry hop with 2 oz CTZ, 2 oz Cascade, and 1 oz Simcoe. Wait 3-5 days, then bottle or keg as you would any other beer. I usually aim for ~2.3 volumes of CO2 and that seems pretty nice with this beer.

The calculated IBUs are almost definitely not accurate since it's a partial boil, but I can say the bitterness is assertive. There's a nice malt backbone to hold it together, though, and the huge amount of late and dry hops make for a great bouquet when you stick your nose in the glass.

Happy brewing! :mug:

I admit to being a bit slow, and am a bit confused with the recommended fermentation times. It says 14 days for primary, and then 3-5 days for secondary after the dry hops are added. But it also says to add the dry hops after the krausen has fallen, which I was told would be around 5 days. Can you help? I have the wort in day 2 of primary. Thanks!

In most instances home brewers skip a secondary... Unless it's a big beer or perhaps wood or fruit will be added. You can dry hop in primary once active fermentation is done, unless it's a NEIPA, then you'd add hops before its done fermenting.

Back