BioFine Clear, Yeast and Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermanpete

To the Petercopter!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning to use BioFine Clear as a fining agent and would like some input about its affect on yeast as related to bottle conditioning. Will there be enough yeast remaing in suspension to succesfully bottle condition the beer? If I need to pitch new yeast how much should I use? Will adding new yeast render the fining process pointless?

I have made two batches using the BioFine and repitching for bottling. I added the BioFine according to the instructions (1 tsp. per 5 gallons) at transfer to the secondary. Due to my concern about the yeast count being too low I pitches 1/2 a pack (5.5 grams) of Nottingham at bottling along with the priming sugar.

As far as clarity goes, the BioFine works ok and I could see an improvement compared to what I get without any fining. This judgement was made at bottling from the hydrometer sample. The finished beer is not quite as clear but is does seem a bit better than without any fining. Carbonation/conditioning time was shorter than the previous couple of batches so adding the new yeast helps in that department.

I am still unsure if it helps enough to be worth the extra effort. I have a pale ale in the bottles now that should show it off more than the first batch which is a Porter.

To answer the question in your first post, yes, there will be enough yeast in suspension to bottle carbonate your beer; you will not need to add new yeast.

As for Biofine clear, I've found it to be worse than useless. YMMV. If you don't have a vegan issue, nothing beats the combination of cold crashing and gelatin.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

Gelatin only works if you can get the beer close to freezing, as you want to induce any chill hazing particles to agglomerate, allowing gelatin to work its magic. It will also cause most of the yeast to drop out, but again, there will still be plenty of yeast to bottle carbonate your beer. All things equal, I have experienced no difference in the time it takes to fully carbonate a beer that was cold crashed and fined with gelatin than before I started using this technique. YMMV.

If you don't have the capability to cold crash in bulk you can get decent results by storing individual bottles in the refrigerator for an extended time after the beer has carbonated. My experience is that four weeks works better than two weeks to clear a beer in the bottle.

KeninMN, thanks for the advice. I do not have a freezer for fermenting and rely on an ice chest with a water bath for temperature control and adjustment. The haze does not bother me so I may forgo fining for now and try the gelatin when I get a freezer.

First post here... I just cold crashed and gelatin fined "The Number 8" kit at 33° for 1 week. It was incredible how clear the beer was. When I tested the sample in my hydrometer there was ZERO sediment present. I didn't want to risk failure to bottle carb, so I added about 4-5g of US-05 yeast to the bottling bucket. It felt like a crime to pitch yeast in such a clear beer... I think for beers I will bottle, I will cold crash only. Once I get a Keezer set up and start kegging, I will cold crash and fine with gelatin for a ultra bright beer.

Back