biotransformation*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FromZwolle

I don't want to be cremated, I want to be malted.
Reaction score
I was watching a podcast with Jamil and he brought up a good point about the new dry hop craze that's currently raging. He was cautioning against riding the wave of 'new trend = best practices', specifically related to biotransformation, essentially stating that while many hop varieties and yeast combos create really nice flavor and aromatic results, it's very likely that some hop/yeast varieties are not well suited for biobutts and will actually produce unwanted/unpleasant results.

Do y'all have anecdotal evidence of this?

Ideally, we could populate a database of tried and true hops/yeasts that will work well in the realm of biofermentation and include a watchlist of varieties that have had poor results.

I can imagine certain situations like- simcoe and lallemand voss dry hopped @ 20 hrs in = stale cat vag.

Last edited:
I suppose it could be both, but I've read of biotransformation a lot, and biofermentation never. Might have to start using that :)

Anyway, so far, I have always enjoyed the brews I've done that used biotransformation. Not yet had a single disappointment, quite the contrary, actually.

That said, the list of hop strains I've used in that mode is very short: Amarillo, Apollo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, El Dorado, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe. 10 out of a bazillion strains isn't a large enough sample to discount disappointing results with any of the rest :)

[edit] For bio-t I've used 1318/A38, 1056 and Conan/A04. I prefer the LA3 strains as they're a bit less aggressive than the other two and leave a bit more sweetness...

Cheers!

I suppose it could be both, but I've read of biotransformation a lot, and biofermentation never. Might have to start using that :)

Anyway, so far, I have always enjoyed the brews I've done that used biotransformation. Not yet had a single disappointment, quite the contrary, actually.

That said, the list of hop strains I've used in that mode is very short: Amarillo, Apollo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, El Dorado, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe. 10 out of a bazillion strains isn't a large enough sample to discount disappointing results with any of the rest :)

[edit] For bio-t I've used 1318/A38, 1056 and Conan/A04. I prefer the LA3 strains as they're a bit less aggressive than the other two and leave a bit more sweetness...

Cheers!
that's good to hear, but i still feel like there's a lurking disaster out there somewhere. i was just trying not to be the guy that found it!

Back