Bines and Runner Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustMrWill

Reaction score
Second year hops are amazing me with the growth already! I have a couple questions concerning them...I am sorry if this has been answered before...

1. After cutting dozens of bines from each plant...I am left with a delema. I have each plant down to the 5 biggest bines. Most of these 5 are thicker than a pencil and already several feet long. I am having trouble bringing myself to cutting the plant back any further. Is this too many? I have read that you want 2-3...but what would happen if I let all 5 grow?

2. One of my cascade has 2 runners that broke the surface about a foot away from the main plant. What is the best thing to do with these? Can I cut them from the main root ball and donate them to a local brewer/grower? If so, when would be good to do it? Anything special required to make it work? Or should I just cut them so that they don't "take away" from the main plant?

Thanks.

Ps - If the runners can be cut...anybody local want them?

-Will

5 is a good number for a crown , 2-3 per rope.

On the runner , yes chopping it off will yield a new plant. It will have rootlets attached

Hmmm...

Each crown only has one rope....so 5 on the one rope will be a problem? If so..I might have to re-think my garden system.

-Will

I have read that the bines will restrict each other if there are several on one rope. Any way you can rig a second rope? That would help even if it were very close to the first one.

Back