Bine Dried Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
My first year hop plants are about done growing here in west central Wisconsin. The plants grew to about 12 feet and I have a nice crop of hops.

I have not harvested them, and am considering just letting them go for another couple of weeks then picking. I will probably place them on a table for a bit then package and freeze them.

Any comments on this process?

You'll want to dry them in a dark place. Light will ruin hops. I'd use a large paper bag and just shake the bag every few days until they're dry.

From the title of your post, they won't dry on the bine. They will only continue to mature until the lupulin turns a dark gold then orange then brown. At the same time the bracts will turn brown and its too late. I advise using them as compost for next year.

If they are still green, pluck them and lay them out on a screen or on the table as you described for at least 24 hours.

Unless you are up in Bayfield or some other strange microclimate, I suspect yours are ready for harvest. I'm outside of Madison and we finished our harvest 3 weeks ago.

From the title of your post, they won't dry on the bine. They will only continue to mature until the lupulin turns a dark gold then orange then brown. At the same time the bracts will turn brown and its too late. I advise using them as compost for next year.

If they are still green, pluck them and lay them out on a screen or on the table as you described for at least 24 hours.

Unless you are up in Bayfield or some other strange microclimate, I suspect yours are ready for harvest. I'm outside of Madison and we finished our harvest 3 weeks ago.

What a difference a year makes. I am in the process of harvesting a nice crop of Centennial and Cascade. The second year has been very good.

BTW - I am in westcentral WI, about 45 miles east and a bit north of St. Paul, MN.

I did spend eight years enjoying the beers of Madison when I was a lawmaker, and I enjoy getting up to Maggies in Bayfield as well.

Wait until next year...it takes 3 or 4 years to come to maturity. Then either you ramp up brewing or find friends who need hops.

Ha, I was just eating the whitefish liver appetizer in Maggies a couple weeks ago. Went all the way up for the Greg Brown concert at Big Top but left empty handed. He had to cancel due to his M-I-L passing. So, I settled for heading down the SouthShore brewery in Ashland.

Back