Bine at the top, back down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbz

Reaction score
My trellis only goes up about 13 feet but my year two cascades are already almost all the way to the top. Can I train the burrito go back down somehow to get max bine length?

Sometimes I think I like growing the hops more than using them.

I'm not sure exactly what your system looks like but when I've had my plants reach the top of whatever I'm using (rope/trellis) I try to get them to grow horizontally however I can. If you have any way to just have them grow across the top of your trellis, or perhaps down a rung and then across that might work.

If you try to move them laterally you'll have to train them and make sure they stick to your plan since they are fairly persistent about growing straight up. As for growing back down, that might be tougher and require you to train them every day. The vine wants to grow upwards and I'd imagine would resist growing in the opposite direction.

Hope that helps!

It's a single pole with 4 plants trained to the top at a single point kinda like a teepee. Perhaps I could make the top into a more T- shape and allow the line to zig and zag its way up.

I would look at extending the teepee higher with a 2x4 or something. You could maybe re-string the lines to the new highest point to get some more length. This will help production in the end too.

Edit: A picture of your setup would be helpful for other suggestions.

Back