Biltong (South African) Dried Beef Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
Biltong is a dried beef that is common in South Africa (the region). They make it out of anything they can catch; from elephants to ostrich. This is how they preserve it. It's not exactly a jerky, because it's cured with vinegar, but it's damn good. Here's a recipe using eye of round (beef) if you want to give it a shot:

Slice the desired amount of eye of round thin (1/3 inch thick). You want them to be in long strips, about the 1 inch by 5-6 inches.

Load a spray bottle with vinegar (balsamic vinegar gives a strong flavor, apple vinegar works well)

Spray the sliced eye of round with the vinegar.

Season it with salt and pepper. They don't use much salt - less than tablespoon for 2.2 pounds - but if you're new to this kind of drying, I would tell you to use more. Add coriander and other spices to taste.

Now, you can either smoke it at 160' for six hours, or you can set it outside in a really dry area and put a fan on it for a week. It depends how 'authentic' you want to be. The vinegar will 'cook' and cure the meat.

Good luck!

We usually hang the meat during our dry winter months or google diy biltong maker.

Basically a box with a light and a fan in it.

I like my biltong to be in thick pieces so I can grab a large piece and slice it with my pocket knife while watching sport.

Hmm this sounds really interesting! I think I'll give this a try with some venison I got from a coworker.

The owner at the last firm I worked for was from SA, and he would bring this stuff back from trips to visit his family. It's awesome!! Question: any reason you couldn't use a conventional dehydrator? Maybe marinate the beef for a day or two in the vinegar first?

You can mix vinegar, brown sugar, salt and coriander as a base and leave it over night in the fridge. You can also just make sure the vinegar mixes with all the meat and spice and hang up straight away.

A dehydrator will work.

I successfully made biltong once in the oven.
I left the heat off but had the fan going, it worked a treat. From what I recall I rubbed in salt, sugar and a splash of tobasco for flavour.

Back