Biggest realization EVER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carloscede2

Reaction score
So I always wondered why if everywhere I read p eople say that they get 50 12 oz bottles per 5 gallons batch, I got more than 50, even 65. I never really paid attention to that. But now I had the thought of what if Im putting more water than 5 gallons? (I started with extract kits). Then I read the instructions from the starter kit I got and it said that the 5 gallons mark was 7 cm from the top and I measured that and yes, it was right. I kept doing 5 gallons recipes and I always ended up with more beer and different og than the ones calculated until now, because I measured the "5" gallons mark that they were talking about and it is actually 6 gallons. The problems is that, as I am in Canada, they marked it to 5 imperial gallons mark which equals 6 us gallons. I am extremely mad right now. It why my beers where always light as hell. I also dont understand why they would do that kind of sht if all the recipes are in 5 us gallons. I am all grain now so my last batch is safe. However, I have a blonde ale fermenting in that pail and when I changed the stats, it will yield a 4% beer from the 5.4% that I had calculated. I just cant describe what Im feeling right now

You just figured out how to make all of your future beers better with virtually no effort. I would be happy!

You just figured out how to make all of your future beers better with virtually no effort. I would be happy!

I know but all the money wasted in light beers and never knew why. I am so mad that I dont even wanna bottle the batch that is fermenting

I know but all the money wasted in light beers and never knew why. I am so mad that I dont even wanna bottle the batch that is fermenting

If that's the worst thing that happens in your brewing career, you're doing alright. I've got half a keg of an experimental dark rye pale ale in the bottom of my keezer at the moment that I don't have the heart to deal with right now. Argh.

The "glass half full" guy would be ecstatic to know that he found the problem and all his future beers will be better. After all, that's the goal we're all after.

Back