Biggest Noob Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
So last fall on my birthday I took $100 and bought a nice start up homebrew setup and my first extract kit and started what I though would be a hobby that i did 2-3x per year at best.

I am now in my 10th month of brewing and have already made 9 batches with #10 fermenting. Although I am still just an extract brewer I have upgraded my pot and built a beautiful 2 tap keg fridge. My latest brew is by far my biggest success. AHS Kalamazoo (Bells Two Hearted) Clone. Not only is this an exact replica but I think it tastes better, because I made it. This is by far my biggest success to date.

Any other Noob success stories out there....?

Rolling into month 3 of brewing with one success under my belt (A nice hoppy IPA) and have a smashing pumpkin (slightly modified to make it my own) in the fermenter. Already researching my next batch, either a stout or a winter Ale. Since I am only renting the house I am in for another 10 months I will be holding off on purchasing any more "big" pieces of equipment or going to all grain, once I am settled though... Love this hobby and glad I have started brewing my own beer! Cheers!

My biggest success was the first time I modified a recipe. Someone bought me a double IPA kit for my birthday, which would be my 5th brew. We tweaked the recipe (having learned a bit about hop usage/profiles), added brown sugar, oaked it, and dry hopped the crap out of it. It was a huge hit with our hophead friends, and the aroma was incredible. I'm glad I took detailed notes - I'll be able to brew it again.

and started what I though would be a hobby that i did 2-3x per year at best.
These were my "famous last words" as well...

Yup...same as above. We seriously modified an Irish Red Ale recipe and gave it to our friends/family to taste. Almost unanimous opinion can be summed up in 'out of this world'...Onto our fourth batch. All extract and partial mash for now. I have no intention of going to all grain yet.

Yup...same as above. We seriously modified an Irish Red Ale recipe and gave it to our friends/family to taste. Almost unanimous opinion can be summed up in 'out of this world'...Onto our fourth batch. All extract and partial mash for now. I have no intention of going to all grain yet.

No need to get anymore equipment to do All Grain. Search BIAB. A buddy and I make 3.5 gallon batches with a 5 gallon pot. Easy as pie and the only thing you need is a paint strainer.

I am starting on Month 9 and also fermenting batch 10. Most have been very good to great. The only ones that weren't real good are the ones where I try things like rice solids for the people that think Bud is about as heavy and dark as they can handle.

Cheers OP.

Im in month 13 of brewing.

Last June my GF bought me a Northern Brewer starter kit and I started extract brewing.

After a half a dozen extract beers I switched to all grain.

Fast forward to now and I have a 4 tap kegerator, 10 gallon all grain set up, ferm chamber, control of my own water profiles, ~20Lbs of hops in the freezer, ~400 lbs of grain in the basement, and am brewing batch 55 or so tonight.

Yeah..I'm kind of obsessive about my hobbies. :D

Im not a noob in my brewing activities but still am certainly a noob as far as how long I have been brewing.

Edit: Oh, and the beer I make is damn good.

Cheers OP.

Im in month 13 of brewing.

Last June my GF bought me a Northern Brewer starter kit and I started extract brewing.

After a half a dozen extract beers I switched to all grain.

Fast forward to now and I have a 4 tap kegerator, 10 gallon all grain set up, ferm chamber, control of my own water profiles, ~20Lbs of hops in the freezer, ~400 lbs of grain in the basement, and am brewing batch 55 or so tonight.

Yeah..I'm kind of obsessive about my hobbies. :D

Im not a noob in my brewing activities but still am certainly a noob as far as how long I have been brewing.

Edit: Oh, and the beer I make is damn good.
So Xpert are you:

A. $10,000 in debt
B. Throwing keggers every weekend
C. An alcoholic

Either way I love it!

A. Ive probably only spent 2500 on equipment.

As for B and C, its more marathon drinking than keggers every weekend.

My girlfriend and I are thirsty by the time we get home from work, we have people over frequently, and my dad has started drinking a decent share as well.

Xpertskir - You are my hero...This is where I want to be in my 13th month of this wonderful hobby. BTW...wifey loves my beers, so that helps in acquiring new gadgets, equipment w/o much fuss.

My biggest success in brewing...

My far-too-good-to-me SO bought me an extract kit and yeast for Christmas. Unbeknown to her it was a lager (Maibock). So, my third batch ever (now on 6 or 7, I think) was a lager and it turned out fabulous. Probably the best overall I've made so far.

Congrats! Most Noobs (aka myself) dont have the balls to try a lager, you were forced into it.

I will be brewing for 2 years in Christmas, but I can remember my biggest noob successes. My first batch (since it tasted like beer) was probably the most excited I've been about making beer.

But I think my biggest success was the first batch to come out of my newly made fermentation chamber. I built it right after and week of 80 degree days in March that caused my hefeweizen to ferment at about 85 degrees. It tasted like a banana sledgehammer. I built a fermentation chamber and the belgian tripel I made right after that is still one of my favorites. I even have a few bottles a year and a half later just waiting for a good time to open.

My success was when a buddy of mine put 2oz of Amarillo in the wrong beer but, damn it came out good.

Been doing research since January and finally took the plunge in June. Dropped $700 on equipment and got to work. Since end of June, I've brewed 9 batches and consistently have 3 in the fermenter. I'm starting to customize each kit I brew with some kind of added flavor. All brews have been very successful with great beer. Hoping to step up to kegging and all grain in the next 6 months to a year. First purchase is a bigger fermentation fridge so I can fit 4-6 at a time and convert my current 7 cf one to a keezer.

Been doing research since January and finally took the plunge in June. Dropped $700 on equipment and got to work. Since end of June, I've brewed 9 batches and consistently have 3 in the fermenter. I'm starting to customize each kit I brew with some kind of added flavor. All brews have been very successful with great beer. Hoping to step up to kegging and all grain in the next 6 months to a year. First purchase is a bigger fermentation fridge so I can fit 4-6 at a time and convert my current 7 cf one to a keezer.

Wow, $700 for equipment to start extract brewing? I started all grain with less than $100, even now my e-herms cost me less than $500, granted I'm a cheap skate and am always on the lookout for deals or materials that could be converted. I think this is a huge misconception that turns people away from brewing, yes its nice to have top of the line equipment but what are you showing off, your pots or your beer?

BTW: Go Dawgs!!

I think my whole experience has been a success, considering that I'm making something that every one has loved, BEER!!!. It's as follows: I started with a Mr. Beer Kit, which I didn't like because it was a little to simple. Found a fellow Home brewer, he took me under his wing, and i hit ground running. First weekend together, I was brewing all grain BiaB on my turkey fryer, a 5 gal water jug from Lowes for a mashtun, and fermenting in some food grade jugs, and carbonating in some 2L soda water bottles. I fabricated a wort chiller out of some 1/2" in tubing the following day, bought a secondary water jug, and slapped them together to form an ice bath wort chiller, which hooked up to my turkey fryer. In the first month, I brewed 2x 5 gal batches (Boont Amber & American IPA). Second month, I was out at a training exercise with the military, but a soon as I got home, I brewed a Dunkelwiesen and a White house honey ale kit. During their fermentation, I slapped a kegerator together. Now that I have been deployed for a while, all i can do is think of the first brew when I get home, and building an actual sculpture.

Screen shot 2013-08-31 at 1.27.17 PM.png

Collapse Brew stand.jpg

20121006_182537.jpg

I'm only in my ~6th month brewing. My sixth batch, which I've nearly finished up, was a saison with the notoriously moody Wyeast 3724 Belgian saison strain. I remember I bought about 3-4lbs of some kind of grains, mashed/steeped, and added in the last bits of a couple jugs of liquid extract I had lying around. The idea was to use up all the ingredients I was too low on to make a good recipe with. I think I also tossed in a pound of brown sugar, but I can't remember. I chucked it all in a fermenter, pitched the yeast, and forgot about it, since 3724 likes warm temperatures (supposedly, up to 95 degrees).

Well, it was sitting in a warm spot in my A/C-less apartment in the hottest weeks of summer. It definitely got up to 95 inside the fermentor, possibly even higher. And damn is it a good beer! Fermented so clean, no off flavors whatever, and a very nice fruity flavor and aroma that hides the 7.5% alcohol.

Of course, since it's my best batch so far, it would be the one where I didn't write down the recipe and have no idea how to replicate it. Go figure. :drunk:

Back