Biggest Beer yet!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
So, just started brewing my Breakfast Stout, looking for a OG of 1.082. I'm doing a Partial Mash with 3 lbs of 2-row and 3 lbs of specialty grains.

I know everyone says RDWHAHB, but I think I might have mashed in a bit too hot at 163, and the temperature dropped to 159/160. Not going to mess with it too much, so we'll see how it ends up!! Sitting here and waiting for the time to click by until I can start the boil....

That is a bit of a high mash temp, but I wouldn't worry much. You may end up with a slightly higher final gravity and less-dry beer, since a high mash temp means more unfermentable sugars.

Less of a problem in a partial mash than an all-grain, so I'm sure you'll still make good beer. I did the same with a PM Oktoberfest, and it came out great.

-Joe

That is a bit of a high mash temp, but I wouldn't worry much. You may end up with a slightly higher final gravity and less-dry beer, since a high mash temp means more unfermentable sugars.

Less of a problem in a partial mash than an all-grain, so I'm sure you'll still make good beer. I did the same with a PM Oktoberfest, and it came out great.

-Joe

Well, in the last 40 minutes, it's dropped down to 154... so it's sitting right where I want it now. We'll see. I'll post my Efficiency in this thread, after I take the OG in a few hours.

Ended up with 1.080 OG, which is close to 71% efficiency. Not too bad for my stove-top first attempt at a Partial Mash, I don't think?

Lets see how she ferments!

Verio,

Forgive me I'm new here, but how due you figure up the percentages. I'm sure it comes with the directions on the hydrometer, but I don't have those right in front of me. Also, keep in mind I haven't done my first brew yet. I plan on doing that in the next few weeks after I get some more equipment together.

Verio,

Forgive me I'm new here, but how due you figure up the percentages. I'm sure it comes with the directions on the hydrometer, but I don't have those right in front of me. Also, keep in mind I haven't done my first brew yet. I plan on doing that in the next few weeks after I get some more equipment together.

Great question! I use the Hydrometer to tell me the gravity, and I use BeerSmith to tell me my efficiency for mashing.

When you're ready to start brewing, download BeerSmith first and check it out. It's a great tool to help out in learning how the different ingredients work.

Great question! I use the Hydrometer to tell me the gravity, and I use BeerSmith to tell me my efficiency for mashing.

When you're ready to start brewing, download BeerSmith first and check it out. It's a great tool to help out in learning how the different ingredients work.

I'll do that, hopefully my stupid computer won't crash when I do it, that's another issue all together. When you look at it there is a science that comes with beer making. From what I've read it really surprised me some of the calculating, measuring, etc., that goes into making beer. Can't wait to start the obsession. I told my wife yesterday I was so excited to get started, she thinks I'm nuts, but will support me. :D

Don't be intimidated by the numbers - while there are many of us engineer types who love crunching them, there are plenty of folks who make great beer without so much as a hydrometer.

So what I'm saying is get as technical as you want, but don't feel like you can't make good beer without a PhD.

-Joe

With a beer this big, how long shiould the lag time be, before fermentation begins? Its been 12 hours and there's a 1/4 inch layer of krausen formed, but I thought thwe fermentation would be more vigorous. Should I pitch another vial of yeast since its still so early?

Nope, that sounds fine to me.

-Joe

Just checked it again now, sitting at around 21 hours from yeast pitch, and there's still hardly any krausen. Still around 1/4". However, the airlock is on a full steady bubble, without any breaks, and I can see a bunch of yeast bobbing from top to bottom in the fermenter.

I used Wyeast WLP001 American Ale Yeast.

This is a first for me though, for my last 2 brews, where the krausen was quite large.

No need for concern?

Definitely not, esp if you've got strong airlock activity. Every brew I've done has had a different looking krausen. One looked like the skin on chocolate pudding.

-Joe

Took a Hydrometer sample since it stopped bubbling today and the yeast is starting to settle... reading is down to 1.020. Couldn't believe it went from 1.080 to 1.020 in 3 days:tank: I think it will still drop a few more points of gravity though.

So, I tried the sample and it tastes like a strong dark coffee with the hint of chocolate. The recipe I have says to rack it onto another 1.5oz of coffee, and honestly, I think it will be too overpowering, since it already is pretty much in your face as it is.

I couldn't taste the 7.85% alcohol at all... lol

Back