Bigfoot

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Halbrust

Reaction score
Just tried the Bigfoot 2012 by Sierra Nevada.

It was horrible. It honestly tasted like alcoholic dishwater. it had a soapy taste. It was soapy, bitter and high alcohol.

It did have a beautiful aroma and color though.

Brent81

Reaction score
Definitely not my favorite from Sierra Nevada either. In my opinion, the Torpedo is the better one of the newer stuff they've had out.

twalte

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning...I almost bought some yesterday. I thought the Celebration was quite tasty this year...plus the Torpedo is always a good one.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
Torpedo is great! Celebration and regular old Pale Ale are great as well. Bigfoot is ok. I had it last yeast and I think the name is the best part. I didn't think it was bad but as far as Barleywine goes I get kind of picky.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmmm . . . . no dish soap in mine last night. Not that it is the greatest barleywine or anything, but I thought it was fine (for as cheap as I got it).

solbes

Reaction score
Dang. I bought a bottle in a mixed 6 pack. My thought was to age it in the basement for another year at least. I still will, but will also temper my expectations.

TyTanium

Reaction score
Bigfoot 2012 was released a year ago, in Jan 2012. So it will have lost a ton of hop character.

Look for the 2013 release for the fresh hop character.

Reactions: SLI

MagooBrew

Reaction score
Just tried the Bigfoot 2012 by Sierra Nevada.

It was horrible. It honestly tasted like alcoholic dishwater. it had a soapy taste. It was soapy, bitter and high alcohol.

It did have a beautiful aroma and color though.
X2
Some of the most disgusting beer ive drank. Had one last night and thought I was going to have to rinse my mouth out with a PBR. Lol

MagooBrew

Reaction score
I actually chewed on some pellet hops to see what they tasted like. I had a flashback of that time while trying to drink a Bigfoot

beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-

Reaction score
Thanks, ive actually been looking for one since i first noticed sierra a couple years ago. Home brewing has changed my taste buds since then, so ill be weary.

mikescooling

Reaction score
I think it's just a young, high ABV beer, I think it would not be as hot in a year.

Big_Belgian

Reaction score
I think it's just a young, high ABV beer, I think it would not be as hot in a year.
Some people like Bigfoot young and fresh, but I think most like to give it a year or 2 to mellow out a bit. I am definitely not an expert on barleywine, but I buy some Bigfoot every year and like to give it at least 2-3 years in the cellar.