Big trubs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I don't normally use a clearing tank, just keg from the fermenter. But I'll make an exception on this batch of Bent Rod Rye. The trub is an inch over the spigot inlet! I think someone was playing with the specialty grain crusher over at Joel's. This is about 4 times as much trub as I got for the last two batches: same bill, same yeast, same grain source. Looks like I'll lose most of a gallon from the batch.

img_1432.jpg

Did you do protein rest on this batch? I saw similar picture once when I skipped protein rest - more longer chain protein drop out of solution. At least that's how I explained it.

Got Whirlfloc? I forgot them on one of my brews this last week. If you missed that or "Irish moss" at the last 15 minutes of boil then that is part of it. I then hot whirlpool, rest and siphon the wort off the trub through a counterflow chiller into the carboys.

I started to get that much when I went to AG, most of mine are like that so I just make 12 gallons. Then I don't feel bad about losing that little bit.

I had a brew that had Irish moss in it, fermented a full two weeks and the trub on the bottom was minimal and compacted...in fact, it was almost calcified. Although I'm not sure if that really helps your situation. Maybe the moral of the story is to use Irish moss and let the fermenter sit for a good while?

Back