Big Score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I've been sort of looking for a source of bulk two row for a little while now and haven't had any luck. There is a malt factory about an hour's drive away from where I live that I regularly pass by. I had called them but they don't sell to the general public. My HBS sells sacks of two-row for around $80 - $90. To pay that much when I live in the middle of barley fields and they malt the stuff nearby is irritating.

So I bought a Barley Crusher a few weeks back and needed to find a source for real. The interwebs didn't produce any results so I thought I'd get a little more aggressive in my search. Since I was in the area I decided to stop in at that malt factory and have a talk with them. I was hoping to maybe find out who they supply and get some tips about getting sacks for a reasonable price.

Turns out the factory is now owned by a completely different company than before and they are willing to sell to the general public. I was given the name of the guy to contact but he wasn't answering his phone. His card had an email address so I mailed him when I got home.

This was his response today:

The malt we produce is a pale two row malt, we don’t make crystal or any specialty malts. Our price per 25 kg bag is $25.00 CDN. We accept cash. I would need a day or to notice to get the bags done up depending on how many you would like.

It appears that I can get my entire year's worth of two row for about $100. Considering I just spent over $70 for my Oktoberfest recipe, I think my price per batch is going way down!

:ban::ban::ban::ban:

Awesome!!!

$80 for a bag of 2-row is waaaayyy too much. My LHBS sells it for 45....we buy from a supplier for 36. 25 is out of this world!!!

I feel your former pain. I live 1/2 hour from the Briess malting plant and they don't sell to the general public, either.

I feel your former pain. I live 1/2 hour from the Briess malting plant and they don't sell to the general public, either.

Easy solution: Stalk someone high up in the company, fake an "incident" in which you save their life, free malt for life. Then, have free malt redirected to me while you're in prison.

Nothing is real until the deal is done. I called the guy on Wednesday to let him know I was going to be in the city for the next week. He told me to come by on Thursday. I showed up and there were two 25kg (55lb) sacks of nice fresh two row waiting for me. I handed him $50 cash, we shook hands and the deal was done. I figure I'll need about four sacks a year for my current brewing needs but damn, at that price I may have to become even more of a piss-tank.

Wonder if that $50 went into his back pocket. ;) Either way good for you.

I don't think it went into HIS back pocket because it was done fairly openly and I was given his name by one of the ladies in the office. However, the fact that this is a factory without a sales office so maybe this is the way they raise money for Friday night beers. In any event, as you indicated, I could care less.

Araxi, I'll PM you the info.

i live in winnipeg and would also like 25 kgs of malt for that cheap!! that's awesome!

Hmmm. Well, if you'd had more than the one post since the middle of April, I'd think you might read my response, but we can't rule out lurkers so I'll let you know what I know.

The guy I was dealing with has left and the price has gone up over the last four years. It was $40 a sack last summer, I think. I haven't bought any this year so I can't comment on the price now, but it should be somewhere around there. I was at the Grape and Grain earlier this week and he was selling sacks of domestic two row for $60. So even if they won't sell out the back door at the malter's, you can still get some bulk grain without buying a set of grow lights to pay for it.

So if you're still here, redracer, PM me and I'll give you what details I have, or just look up Malteurop and give them a call yourself. That's how I did it!

Don't know how to private message on this stupid Mobile app. I'm very interested to getting any info. You can email me at [email protected]. My name is Ryan.
Thanks so much man!

Back