Big Mouth Bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
I just cleaned my new plastic 6.5 gallon big mouth bubbler for the first time. And I'm done! No overnight soak in oxyclean no shaking a wet paper towel in to get it clean (don't ask) Plus dry hopping couldn't have been easier. I am going to sell all my other glass carboys and better bottles and use nothing but the bigmouth, why would you use anything else? The thing is awesome!

I've read a lot of folks having issues with the lid coming loose several times during active fermentation. Sounds odd to me but that's what I've read. So, guessing you didn't have that experience?

I'll agree that the large opening sounds ideal. I'd probably ditch my Better Bottles in favor of those things but the self-loosening lid thing is a detractor if there's any truth to it.

I love my 5 gallon for cold crashing and dry hopping. I use a variety of methods depending on the beer and my mood, but when I use the BMB I love how easy it is to clean. The small leak around the lid is not a concern for my use and I'd REALLY not be concerned if I had a primary.

I've read a lot of folks having issues with the lid coming loose several times during active fermentation. Sounds odd to me but that's what I've read. So, guessing you didn't have that experience?

I'll agree that the large opening sounds ideal. I'd probably ditch my Better Bottles in favor of those things but the self-loosening lid thing is a detractor if there's any truth to it.

Not at all - seals really well. There's not even a rubber gasket, just the plastic lid. I thought I might not have a bubbling airlock like a bucket sometimes is with a bad seal, but it was airtight - bubbled the whole time.

How much easier it is to soak a Better Bottle overnight, rinse, insert a washcloth, swirl and rinse some more. That part takes maybe 10 minutes. The long part is filling it with Oxyclean and water.

Removing dried on krausen by sticking your arm inside and scrubbing seems to me to be much more work. That is why I don't like buckets. Big Mouth Bubbler to me is a fancy bucket.

...Big Mouth Bubbler to me is a fancy bucket.

Yeah, it is. But what I like about the BMB is that it is clear so you can see what is going on. And it is a lot easier to remove the lid on the BMB to make a hop addition or take a sample or whatever, at least to me.

As far as cleaning goes, there isn't much difference between a bucket and a BMB, but they are both easier to clean than a better bottle or traditional carboy.

I have a Big Mouth Bubbler and love it! I've used it for 3 batches so far and outside of not liking the massive blowoff tube they supplied I am happy with just the S type airlock. Cleaning is awesome and wiping the krausen off with hot water is a breeze. I still use my glass carboy for secondary but look to eliminate that soon. Making a gasket for the lid is simple if needed. I can't see into my fermentor so I don't know if I am leaking, don't think so based on fermentation evidence. Hope it lasts a long time.

I'd make the switch if I had confidence in their glass thickness... even after the redesign.

I have a 6.5gal plastic BMB. I have used it on perhaps 10 batches now, and have had not one issue with the lid sealing.

On the other hand, since I dry hop loose (rather than in a bag) I really have not realized any miraculous benefit from the big mouth. And I agree that the swishing a wet paper towel thing in a BB cleans just as well. (I have a couple 5gal BB's).

Best things about the BMB IMO are that it has gallon markings, and it is 6.5gal. But if they made BB's that were a full 6.5gal I'd very likely have gotten that instead.

How much easier it is to soak a Better Bottle overnight, rinse, insert a washcloth, swirl and rinse some more. That part takes maybe 10 minutes. The long part is filling it with Oxyclean and water.

Removing dried on krausen by sticking your arm inside and scrubbing seems to me to be much more work. That is why I don't like buckets. Big Mouth Bubbler to me is a fancy bucket.

It's not easier at all. Here's what I did with a better bottle -

Cleaning -
Fill completely with hot water and homemade PBW. Carry full, heavy better bottle somewhere out of the way to soak. When done, carry full bottle into the bathtub to drain. Insert wet paper towel. Swirl, rinse. Oh, there's still some crud, repeat.
Dry Hopping - Jam hop sack with hops and stainless nuts into bottle. After racking, attempt to pull hopsack out, it gets stuck, cut open, and clean up a big mess.

With BMB -
Cleaning -
Empty. Reach inside with kitchen sprayer and spray it 95% clean. Put like 3/4 gallon hot water + home made PBW in, and give a quick scrub with a rag. Rinse, and put away all shiny.

Dry hopping -
Unscrew lid. Drop in sack. After racking, unscrew lid. Remove sack.

It's not easier at all. Here's what I did with a better bottle -

Cleaning -
Fill completely with hot water and homemade PBW. Carry full, heavy better bottle somewhere out of the way to soak. When done, carry full bottle into the bathtub to drain. Insert wet paper towel. Swirl, rinse. Oh, there's still some crud, repeat.
Dry Hopping - Jam hop sack with hops and stainless nuts into bottle. After racking, attempt to pull hopsack out, it gets stuck, cut open, and clean up a big mess.

With BMB -
Cleaning -
Empty. Reach inside with kitchen sprayer and spray it 95% clean. Put like 3/4 gallon hot water + home made PBW in, and give a quick scrub with a rag. Rinse, and put away all shiny.

Dry hopping -
Unscrew lid. Drop in sack. After racking, unscrew lid. Remove sack.

Fortunately I do not have to move my BB when full. I use my Autosiphon to drain it. I use a washcloth which is heavier than a paper towel. It usually clears everything first try.

Dry hopping - I don't do it too often but have had no problems. If I use a lot of hops I use more than one hop bag.

I still find the BB easier to clean than a bucket. Reaching to all the inside surfaces to wipe with a cloth.

I do find it easier with the BB But to each his own....

Fortunately I do not have to move my BB when full. I use my Autosiphon to drain it. I use a washcloth which is heavier than a paper towel. It usually clears everything first try.

Dry hopping - I don't do it too often but have had no problems. If I use a lot of hops I use more than one hop bag.

I still find the BB easier to clean than a bucket. Reaching to all the inside surfaces to wipe with a cloth.

I do find it easier with the BB But to each his own....

I hear you - If it ain't broke, and you like it, why change. I was just really impressed with the performance and wanted to brag about it...

I love the BMB! Cleaning takes about 2 minutes. Dump/rinse the gunk down the drain, scrub with krausen off with a sponge, rinse/scrub with a bit of PBW, rinse with water, done. It's so easy and awesome.

Also I love that I can open the big top during high krausen and scoop off some healthy yeast for a later brew.

Seems like a BB is just another bucket with a really small opening! I like them because they provide a better seal, but for most things, that's not a concern for me.

What i hate about carboys is that long soak to get them clean, and then you still have to swish a rag in there (not too bad so far) and then I still get water deposits on the inside that need an acid rinse.

For me, it's WAY quicker and easier to simply wipe the bucket or BMB with a washrag, rinse it, and let it dry. Done in maybe 5 minutes. Takes me almost as long to fill a carboy with hot water.

Back